Oakeshott Tries To Put Microbrewery Tax On National Agenda

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May need to move to his electorate just so I can vote for him in the Fed election.

This guy cops it a bit but he's always seemed fairly reasonable to me. I'm not in his electorate though.

I may write an email to my local rep, Wayne Swan. Reckon he'll read it?

Ruddy's my local man. See him around occasionally....

Good on Oakeshott though. Know the Greens brought it before parliament recently. It's on the radar, which can only be a good thing :)

Cheers

It would be nice for the Govt to actually realise that Beer is not just a mega-swilling hard-drink but a product which gets the same scrutiny as wine amongst the "educated" (and learning). Wine is still swilled out of cardboard boxes as much as beer is swilled out of a cheap carton (VB, XXXX etc etc) but for some reason beer is seen as something of lower standard to wine, the proverbial drink of Kings... Wtf??

Quality beer is coming up in the world as a decent drop and not something that only thugs and meat-heads get drunk off. Wine has had some wierd reputation for years of being a drink of the fortunate, where the label and year of the bottle apparently carries some weight whereas beer seems to be the quality of the brewer/brewery and the freshness of the product (ie: we wouldn't rave on about a batch of beer we had 10 years ago but we would rave on madly about the brewer/brewery which produced such an awesome beer). The 1996 batch of Amber Ale from XYZ brewery compared to the 2010 batch of Amber Ale from ABC brewery simply cannot compare, in my opinion.

I could be wrong, but I find enjoying and analysing different craft brewed beer styles and breweries more exciting than chasing a certain year of grape and which vineyard/winery decided to make their plonk from it.

Beer, and especially "craft brewed" beer needs its own place in the eyes of the Govt, give them a break and reap the rewards of an industry proud to produce pioneering products to the population providing that proper placement in the policies of the premier political party prevent persecution of proprietors prior to the perpetration of proper production procedures regarding tax and excise.

Heh, go on, say that last sentence out loud, I DARE you...

May need to move to his electorate just so I can vote for him in the Fed election.

I need to move to his electorate so I can drink beer from the little brewing company :wub: So sad their Belgian offerings don't make it here. Their pale and wit are spot on.

If only this issue would get support from someone that actually gets listened to...

I am happy that both Greens and Oakshott have taken up the cause in principle.

Fosters profits will inevitably go offshore, meaning a large pre-existing obstacle for tax concessions should be removed. Given that basically everything except mining is in decline, it makes sense to assist what is already trying to be a growth industry with flow on benefits for things like tourism. Even the wine industry should be able to see the mutual benefit.

Beer, and especially "craft brewed" beer needs its own place in the eyes of the Govt, give them a break and reap the rewards of an industry proud to produce pioneering products to the population providing that proper placement in the policies of the premier political party prevent persecution of proprietors prior to the perpetration of proper production procedures regarding tax and excise.

:party:

If anyone is writing to their local member. Cc Oakeshott so that he gets a copy of your letter too. Less chance of it going unnoticed.

I don't know enough about the industry, but if they really want change they need a vocal industry body to represent them. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Edit: just read the article. Seems they do have an industry body and they are vocal about it. Carry on.

Simple analogy (politicians are simple).

VB/XXXX = goon bag
Microbrewery = boutique winery.

Either way, the latter will not encourage irresponsible drinking habits, because the drinker is obtaining said beverage for the purposes of flavour and enjoyment, not for the purposes of getting drunk - quickly and cheaply.

The one thing about Oakshott is that he holds the balance of power in the house - if he's serious, then he'll get a concession from the government in exchange for one to the government (or even the opposition, if they cared). What strikes me as bizarre is that people talk about lame duck parliament, but it appears as more thought goes into smaller bills than previous.

Oh, except for the senate "considering" the bill about micros - did anyone see hansard? they spent a few minutes tops on it. Some debate.

I drink craft brewed beers for flavour AND to get drunk.

I'm not going to buy into the wowser way of thinking and pretend that I only drink a pint a day. I'm not prepared to sell craft beer as something that people don't binge drink on.

As for wine, people binge drink on that as well. They just like to pretend they're not.

Let's call a spade a spade here. I won't denigrate a megaswill drinker as just being an alcoholic. There's plenty of working class guys that drink XXXX Gold responsibly. The flavour may be shit house, but I won't for a second think I'm better and my responsible than them when I'm drinking my 9.2% ABV IIPA.

From the way I see it, Oakshott might need a job in his local micro brewery after the next election :lol:

This guy cops it a bit but he's always seemed fairly reasonable to me. I'm not in his electorate though.

I may write an email to my local rep, Wayne Swan. Reckon he'll read it?

You too? I keep seeing that damn green ute on the way to work every day (back street of Wavell Heights/Nundah).

Goomba

Me 3! Used to live around NundahBelly, but now over at Stafrica

I'm too afraid to drive through Stafford (due to the higher rate of crime due to poverty). I'll either go through McDowall or Newmarket, if I need to go to spotlight for some more voile (if Lincraft has none).

At least it's easy to get besan where I live.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back