Oakeshott Tries To Put Microbrewery Tax On National Agenda

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha seriously? I have never felt that way about Stafford. It doesn't seem dodgy to me.

Nundahbelly, haha I like that. Again never had any issues though.

I'm too afraid to drive through Stafford (due to the higher rate of crime due to poverty). I'll either go through McDowall or Newmarket, if I need to go to spotlight for some more voile (if Lincraft has none).

At least it's easy to get besan where I live.

Goomba

Funny u mention that, I felt more unsafe and had more problems living in Nundah Belly then Stafford!

Stafford has gone all upmarket now, its the next closest suburb to the city after Alderley where prices are still reasonable!
I can prove this because now when u go to Stafford Shopping Centre more people are wearing shoes

I live at Wavell, the most overpriced, up-itself suburb in Brisbane, but I'm too lazy to move.

I'm getting a bit that way with Nundah - the woolies appears to be the hangout of 45 year old great grand-mothers and other assortments of persons wearing little or no recognisable footwear. It's only the assortment of Indian spice shops that make it worthwhile visiting.

I used to live as Ashgrove a fair few years back and Stafford was seriously scary, someone had attacked a teen mum pushing a stroller all that sort of stuff.

The section of Gympie Road that runs near Stafford Road is so damn hard to negotiate from my end of town, I've not had a look there for a long time.

The word is "gentrification". When suburbs get less scary and a bit more upmarket.

Nundah is experiencing gentrification at a fairly large rate...

Guess you guys have never lived in Sydney?

I wrote him a short thank you email. He actually wrote back a 1 liner ty email back.

Hope makes some hell.

The October 2011 edition of WBM (wine business monthly) has a couple of articles on wine tax, I noticed an interesting quote;

"Taxing wine in the same way as beer would earn the government an extra $1.5 billion." SMH.COM.AU 6 September 2011

TWE and Pernod Ricard both support tax reform, but the details of their support would make interesting reading.

The October 2011 edition of WBM (wine business monthly) has a couple of articles on wine tax, I noticed an interesting quote;

"Taxing wine in the same way as beer would earn the government an extra $1.5 billion." SMH.COM.AU 6 September 2011

TWE and Pernod Ricard both support tax reform, but the details of their support would make interesting reading.

That's the problem isn't it... if the government makes any changes they'll probably tax wine more heavily rather than reducing tax on beer.

That's the problem isn't it... if the government makes any changes they'll probably tax wine more heavily rather than reducing tax on beer.

Yep. Taxing wine more heavily will mean job losses in the wine industry (and bring an industry back to reality) and taxing beer less, is a revenue loss.

I doubt Oakshott's changes would make beer any cheaper at point of sale, it would just give small breweries a bit of a leg-up, and maybe make "going pro" a bit more attractive. right?

I voted for Oakeshott at the last election, and have regretted it ever since. Having said that, we do have the promise of an extension of the Port Macq Base Hospital, but that's well overdue given our population growth.

This is the first time he's actually come up with something I can support, so GO ROB on this issue.

The people at Little Brewing are great people, Kylie and Warwick are doing it tough in many ways. I think they have pressures from all sorts of issues such as excise, chain store retailers (some, not all and, no, I won't name them), distribution channels, demand versus capacity and ability to expand (a major hurdle for all small to mid size businesses trying to grow), etc etc.

I do love their beers, and heartily recommend them to anyone wanting to try a quality product (no affiliation yada yada). All my visitors from out of town are forced to try them, as part of my bit to educate the great ignorant unwashed beer consumers out in the greater community.

Back