O2-ing my wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously i would jerririg a silicone line onto the reg and use an aration stone or similar as opposed to the blowtube idea......But yeah, just wondering....

Small feed of 02 into a fermenter for 24 hours would probably use as much gas as 5 minutes with a #12 cutting tip...So SFA....

Cheers.

Bomber Watson said:
Stupid question, is industrial O2 the shit were after?

I have an oxy/accet setup in the shed....complete with....wait for it...oxy bottle, reg, etc....Already paying rental on the bottle for it to sit there and be used occasionally....

Hmmm, starsan my blowtube and a nice small welding tip and just dunk it in the fermenter with the valve cracked a bit.......(joke)

Cheers.
Mate thats exactly what I've got, except I use a silicone hose and a sintered stone on a G sized bottle. I get my worts krausening within 6 hours and attenuating down to 1006 best Ive ever got. Shoot a load in for about 45 secs and then whack the glad wrap rain coat on.

Sh$t why did I not think of that? I have a dirty big oxy at work, looks like that bad boy might be repurposed...

Takes all types...I had to be drunk to think of it :p

45 seconds is way better than what i was thinking, chap as chups bruh!.

that's cool, just need a reg and good to go.
and get them into qld somehow...

wonder how much they charge for the o2.

To rehash this topic. I ask the hard question: Is bottled o2 the same? I'm set up with an o2 bottle now that's for welding purposes.
Food grade seems unobtainable for a novice brewer. Try it.

Just got this soap taste in the last (green brew taste test) that I injected with bottled o2 with the pitched starter for pressure ferment. Maybe just green beer paranoia. :huh:

I use a welding cylinder from bunnings and have done for a long time. Never any problems with it. For the most part the o2 is the same as medical grade. The difference is un the handling and transfer. Medical cylinders have a one way valve so when the regulator is disconnected there is no possibility of contaminating the cylinder. As far as bacteria or any other organisms living in the cylinder, it is impossible for anything to survive in pure oxygen.

Not worried about bacterial. Its a soap taste. I sanitized and final rinsed with boiled water prior to every step. The only thing I did different is the new technique of bottled o2 and shake rather than the 1/3rd head space of the air around you at the time etc. and shake to oxygenate the wort. I cranked in the pressure of o2 though. so I'm sure I've got a higher level of o2 in the pre fermented brew then I have ever.

Edit: So maybe there is something to filtered air compared to bottled o2.

How does a home brewer use filtered air to oxygenate wort?

Edit: So maybe there is something to filtered air compared to bottled o2.

Just a thought here - since yeast requires a goodly amount of oxygen to multiply and do the fermentation (which is why we use pure O2, to get sufficient into the wort), it could be that an O2 infused wort might finish at a lower FG than one with an inadequate supply of O2, as might result from using air rather than pure oxygen.

So, lower FG = 'drier' beer = (possibly described as) thinner beer.

The caution of course is not to overdo the O2. From what I've read, about 60 - 75 seconds blast for 23 litres wort.

Its a flavour thing I'm unfamiliar with at the moment. Tanked injection? Can you trust any tank of o2?

edit: I respect the closed system of brewing. Then again there may be something in more open brewing too. For the home brewer especially. That's a nice thought in the overall brewing evolution.

This takes me back to a thought: Our ego to think we can do it better than nature. To set up closed systems only exposed to man made manufactured environments thinking its better than the free natural air around us. Duh!

Then again if your in a confined environment with lots of people and pets running around then that's going to be part of your brew as well.

Soapy flavours can have a few causes, but the big one is Lipids and their metabolite products.
Usually adding the right amount of O2 helps, if you used too much you can poison your yeast, if the yeast pitch is less healthy or too small, that to can cause problems.
Not the only cause, and it might be worth doing some more research and taking a closer look at your process.

Wort quality, a wort without too much trub, enough FAN and the right amount of healthy yeast should fix the problem.
Mark
Capture.JPG

Plenty of people use welding oxygen with no issues. Your oxygen wand should have a sterile in line filter to ensure nothing gets in your wort (not that there would be anything). You should invest in a flow meter so you know the volume of oxygen you are injecting into your wort. 1L of oxygen for a 23L batch of ale should be ample. I have personally never noticed a soapy taste when using oxygen.

'Goaty'....yum.

By the sound of it your pumping o2 into the headspace and shaking the fermenter? Not using a stone?

I used an Industrial O2 bottle for years. Cant think of any reason why you wouldn't if you had access, in a perfect world you would as mentioned above use an inline filter and an inline carbon filter, I only ever used an inline HEPA just to prevent any particulates blocking up the airstone from the inside.

Without a dissolved oxygen meter its really a bit of a guess as to how long and hard to aerate, might be worth doing a bit of reading on how to get the target 10ppm (give or take) into solution.

Danscraftbeer said:
Its a flavour thing I'm unfamiliar with at the moment. Tanked injection? Can you trust any tank of o2?

edit: I respect the closed system of brewing. Then again there may be something in more open brewing too. For the home brewer especially. That's a nice thought in the overall brewing evolution.

This takes me back to a thought: Our ego to think we can do it better than nature. To set up closed systems only exposed to man made manufactured environments thinking its better than the free natural air around us. Duh!

Then again if your in a confined environment with lots of people and pets running around then that's going to be part of your brew as well.
Dans
There is a lot there that worries me, if you have a look at the very few open fermenters still used commercially I think you will find that they are all open to a closed room with sterile (or at least very clean) air. Open fermentation under most any other arrangement is a recipe for infection.
Fundamentally, yeast wants to make yeast, making alcohol is largely a response to the environment we create, good beer is far from a result random exposure to a "natural" environment.
We as brewers are manipulating the yeasts natural inclination to make more yeast and using its ability to make alcohol to do something we want - turn wort into beer. It isn't Ego to think that if we modify the water, take carefully malted barley and process it just right - end product being good beer. If we let random products and processes intrude the odds are that the beer wont be as good.
"Can you trust any tank of o2" YES - a lot more than you can trust the air around us.
M

Nature is wonderful and delightful a lot of the time but also bring us bubonic plague, syphilis and dysentery.

Thanks for the insight guys. Going by the page MHB posted I'm doing all things right. As in preventing this flavour. At a loss what's happened.

jibba02 said:
By the sound of it your pumping o2 into the headspace and shaking the fermenter? Not using a stone?
Yes. I purge with o2 best as possible. When seeled I inject the o2 in the dip tube. I read someone's notes here who experimented with a dissolved oxygen meter. They o2 the kegmenter to 4psi. Then shake well for a few minutes. That gets in the ballpark of 10ppm.

Back