Nsw State Home Brew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi all
Just a reminder to all those entering the Competition all beers have to be in by next Thursday. Once all beers are in we will be able to work out the judging order over the four week period.
Cheers
Ray Mills :)

Ray,

where do we get info/entry forms for this comp?

- SNow.

How do you guys normally package up your beers to send to the comp?

Thanks,
Wreck.

I drop mine off at a supporting brew shop (usually The Country Brewer or ESB Randwick). Then you don't have to worry about any abuse of the beers by AusPost.

Beers,
Doc

Imagine that the box that contains your offerings to the gods of wort is going to be dropped from a height of 1 metre and pack accordingly.

Sturdy cardboard boxes, lots of bubblewrap or newspaper. At least 3 cm of packing between the edge of the box and the bottle. Lots of packing between bottles. Minimize bottle movement. Make sure any paperwork is somewhere easy for the unpacker to find.

Actually I sent some entries to QLD last year.
Used the white expandable mesh you get on duty free alcohol at the airport, then bubble wrap, in a sturdy box with screwed up newspaper around all of that just as Pint describes. They all arrived well too.

Beers,
Doc

The ones I sent to Bathurst I wrapped each bottle in newspaper then in a cardboard box. But it didnt work very well. When the beers left my place they tasted great. By the time the judges got them, quite a few faults seemed to be present.

Ray,

What's the turn out been like?

Cheers,
Wreck.

Wreck said:
Ray,

What's the turn out been like?
Or even how many AHB members have entered ?
I've entered six beers.

Beers,
Doc

I may stand to be corrected on this but I thought it was only open to residents of NSW.

cheers

FWIW

I send all my comp beers in the brown plastic PET bottles. I wrap each in bubble wrap and tape up. I fit 3 in a standard parcel post 3kg sachet ( they cost $7.40 to anywhere in Australia) so it is quite economical....

Asher for now

Asher said:
FWIW

I send all my comp beers in the brown plastic PET bottles. I wrap each in bubble wrap and tape up. I fit 3 in a standard parcel post 3kg sachet ( they cost $7.40 to anywhere in Australia) so it is quite economical....

Asher for now
......until you get beaten Asher ;)

Good luck to all those entering.

C&B
TDA

johnno said:
I may stand to be corrected on this but I thought it was only open to residents of NSW.
I can't say one way or the other but I think the national comp has a new rule which says that brewers who enter more than one state comp must nominate in advance which state their beers are eligible from.

I believe this to be true...

If you plan to enter more than one qualifying comp, you need to let AABA know in advance as to which one you plan to use to as the qualifier for the national comp. Also make it known on your entries to the other comps that your not using them as a qualifier so that if your placed in the top 3 the 4th place getter can be offered the qualifying position (this is the case for Qld at least)...

Make sense.... :unsure:

TDA, I hope your not planning on entering the light lager class..... Trash-Mash-Al & I should wrap up that class hands down.... :p hehe
(SA comp - so I don't confuse anyone not already so...)

Asher for now

Hi all
Last Saturday The IUB's and NSW Regonal brewers managed to get through the judging of these Catagories

1. Low Alcohol
2. Strong Ale
3. Australian Lager
4. Stout
5. Belgian
6. Fruit

Started at 10.30am (had to purchase sausages, bread etc) and completed around 8pm at Tim Thomas Tower of Power brewery. It was a long day and I must say the quality of the beers were very good. I was hoping to hold the judging at Five Islands but the Newcastle crew could not bet down to the Gong till after lunch. We can only do the judging in the mornings at Five Islands because of the current laws.

On Saturday the 25th we hope to complete the rest of the Catagories at Five Islands. An early start of 8am.

You are more than welcome to come down as we need help in some judging, stewards and other things. The nice thing about it is if we can get the rest of the beers completed we can kick off and try some of Tim's very nice beers.

If you can make it down just turn up.

Cheers
Ray

Hi all
Just a reminder, If some of you can come down on Saturday morning that would be great. I might need some help in stewarting and other things. We will start judging at 8.30 am and if I can have 3 tables judging I might be able to have the rest of the styles completed and that way you will have the results sooner.

We have to be out of the Brewery by 12 noon. Those who want to come feel free or contact me. Last judging day we tip down the sink some great beers to be tasted because nobody was there to drink them. Free beer in the morning and some great Brewery beer in the afternoon. Sounds good to me.

Cheers
Ray

Hi all,

Saw that Ray was on earlier, but hasn't posted the results.
They are available via Craftbrewer here

Well done to the organisers and all the winners for another great comp.

Beers,
Doc

PS: Hope Ray and David don't mind me posting the link.

AH poop,

I forgot all about it!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Linz said:
AH poop,

I forgot all about it!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(
Maybe we should start a thread ........

You know you are NOT a homebrewer when ...........

You forget the local state comp is on :p :lol:

Doc

Just geeing you up Linz :)

Back