Nsw Special Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my IIPA wort into cubes now, and will either pitch tomorrow or Mon.

I took a leaf from your book Josh, and tried to work the cube to my advantage by adding my flavour/aroma hops to the cube (250g per cube). If it great, I take full credit, but if it sucks, I will try to blame you somehow :)

I went with two different cube-hopping regimes after a single 90min bittering boil. I will also dry-hop them differently, but I haven't decided on that yet.

I am thinking of submitting two small bottles taped together, one of each IPA. Does anyone have an issue with this?

And my keg of IIPA just blew, so I am savouring my last big lupilin fix for a little while.

Guys,

I checked my tripel last night and I fear that it is infected, it's dropped to 1003 (and falling) and has lost the pleasant yeast flavours from the Unibroue yeast and is becoming harsh and solventy. Doesn't look good for the IPA either, but I'll see how that goes.

If anyone wants me I'll be cleaning.cheers

grant

Cool. More of a side by sideways tasting.
As a side note, I am thinking of pitching one with the Belgian yeast I am using for my blond ale into one to mix things up a little and fit with the current trends in brewing. I am such a scene-ie.

Is anyone against receiving a bottle of Dopplebock instead of my belgian entry (it didn't eventuate)....

I'm happy with that.

It should be noted that I have still not bottled my beers though so my vote should only count for half. :icon_cheers:

I rechecked the tripel last night and it has stopped fermenting and is smoothing out so I'm revising my earlier pessimism and will be submitting it.

cheers

grant

No problems here.

My IPA is tasting better everyday as the gravity drops. Fermenting at a steady 18C this time and it should be good for next weekend.

Alright Doppelbock it is then :beer:

I'll be bottling the other two tonight. The Barleywine has spent a good couple of months in primary so hopefully this will cut down on the amount of time it needs to spend in the bottle. I will try and bottle it all in stubbies so you can all drink one young and age the other for a little while (if you want).

I will probably pitch some fresh yeast as well.. The last high gravity beer I bottled took for ever to carbonate.

I will probably pitch some fresh yeast as well.. The last high gravity beer I bottled took for ever to carbonate.
Yeah, I think that is more often than not the case with the style.
From previous BW's i've brewed, the carbonation didn't really start to appear until 6 months in the bottle. The poor yeasties stuggled in the 12%+abv environments.
Love the idea of having 2 bottles. Personally, i'm more than happy enough to leave any of the stronger beers for a few months to condition and carbonate properly. It wouldn't be much credit to you if people drunk it too young and wound up with a harsh, green strong ale...and lets face it, barley wines and imperial stouts in particular, can be very abrasive when young.

I've bottled my Imperial stout in stubbies as well in the interest of trying at two different time points. Its sitting at about 9.6%. Ended up attenuating down from 1.094 to 1.018 which I was pretty happy with.

Tasting very harsh at this stage but might be good for end of winter or better for winter next year. I almost thought about not bottling it as I've never tasted a RIS and am not sure what they should taste like young. But I could see potential there and hopefully it'll end up nicely. If it doesn't, apologies well in advance! :ph34r:

I am running late in my entry, It will be bottled the night before the swap.

I hit 1.104 for the starting gravity so should be fairly strong and is smelling great. I dont have enough stubbies to do two separate bottles and as it will only be two weeks in the fermenter before bottling, I dont want to risk thin glass with it carbing up a bit more over time.

On a different note, I am shaving my head this weekend for the worlds greatest shave. Having a BBQ at my place if anyone wishes to attend. If not please donate something, even if only a few dollars to the cause. Here is a [topic="42219"]Link[/topic] to the thread that has the sponsorship link on it. I have raised 625 so far, aiming to get to 1000.

Cheers
Jason

I am running late in my entry, It will be bottled the night before the swap.

I hit 1.104 for the starting gravity so should be fairly strong and is smelling great. I dont have enough stubbies to do two separate bottles and as it will only be two weeks in the fermenter before bottling, I dont want to risk thin glass with it carbing up a bit more over time.

On a different note, I am shaving my head this weekend for the worlds greatest shave. Having a BBQ at my place if anyone wishes to attend. If not please donate something, even if only a few dollars to the cause. Here is a [topic="42219"]Link[/topic] to the thread that has the sponsorship link on it. I have raised 625 so far, aiming to get to 1000.

Cheers
Jason

Don't panic too much - most people have been slack (like me) and only recently brewed their entries. I appreciate those of you you brewed early and may have something drinkable at swap time. On the other hand, all my received bottles will sit tucked away for the next four - six months anyway and allowed to age. I know both my efforts will need a bit of cellaring to tone down the harshness. Because I'm brewing my first ever plus 5% brews, I've learnt a few valuable lessions in this exercise - and after all, isn't this the real reason we are doing this? !

Don't forget to go to the WIKI to include info on your beers and also to say whether you will be going to the swap or not.

And Jason, well done on the shaving thing. You are ugly enough and it will be interesting to see the resulting image.

OK, So so,

What time suits all next Sat.??? Late lunch, early dinner, who needs a bed??? Let me know folksys.

OK, So so,

What time suits all next Sat.??? Late lunch, early dinner, who needs a bed??? Let me know folksys.

I could do breakfast, lunch or dinner, no bed needed here.

Anyone heading to mine tomorrow to laugh at my white noggin?

Latest posts

Back