NSW Container deposit scheme.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have they changed any of the cans and bottles to include NSW. with NT, SA when they where doing in United States was massive fraud until they started asking for personal details that is why they do not give cash .

effin useless, have to travel 250klm each way if I want o participate!!!!

Only one refund station between Port Macquarie and the QLD border, whats the good of it.

Typical dipshit pollies couldn't organise a root in a brothel with a handful of 50s

Best to see the S.A. scheme first hand but looking outside of the legislation into the day-to-day running of the sheme is as follows.
There are bottle collection depots scattered around the state, mainly in the cities and population centres, some are privately run, others by organisations such as Scouts.
Most people save their recyclables in large bags or they buy 2nd hand wheelie bins and take them down once in a while (3 months, 6 months?)
Others who can't be bothered will pass them on to whoever, their house cleaner, the kids, local charity or whatever.
People short of money will collect them to suppliment their income, mainly homeless people and pensioners.
In the country, they do get collected and brought to the city by truck, filling a truck with 10c containers adds up to a lot.
Crushing cans and bottles is allowed (at least at my depot) providing they can see the 10c deposit printing or the cans are blatently obvious - popular brands of soft drink and beer for example.
The depots quite often take other recyclables - dead car batteries etc. and sell stuff like LPG refills, firewood etc.
In the outaback, the system fails, too far away, but for the most part the system seems to work fine.

I can see this increasing litter in the suburbs as there will be people rummaging through the recycling bins (where these containers used to go anyway) and in the process scatter other recycling that they are not interested in.

It's a lose-lose situation for just about everyone, except the few corrupt parties that are twisting this to their advantage. I'm surprised Gladys went along with this, she's a bit more pragmatic. I guess she had plenty of other shit left over from Baird to worry about this one.

I can't make sense of it but so many large scale, government organised projects seem to suffer from a massive dose of stupid (nbn, insulation install and this are all fairly recent examples).

NBN is aids!! Not even working here in Gippsland Vic at the moment.

Listened to the Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter on Saturday ( yeah I'm a masochist) being interviewed on ABC about the recycle scheme as he was taken to task (with a damp lettuce leaf) as to why there were very few depots. He stated that the locations were selected in consideration of how big the litter problem was in that particular area that the refund depots were located.
So if the neighborhood is a responsible one and doesn't litter they will not get a depot, but will still have to pay the extra cost (bloody sight more than 10 cents after companies pass on the registration /compliance costs, and don't forget the GST as well).
If you live in a grubby neighborhood then you will get a depot eventually.
This bullshit has nothing to do with litter, just another big money making scheme for the Govt arsewipes. If I squash a can it can't be accepted for refund so the Govt keeps that money.

Should read Scam.
I’ve read that the NSW Gov is introducing the 10 cent refund on beverage containers which has been in here in SA for some time.
Good O, hmmm, a slab contains 24 so 24x10 cents = $2.40.
So to counter act this the NSW Gov wants to whack an extra (minimum) $3.40 on to the price of a slab.
What the Gov gives with one hand they take with the other.
Cheeky *****.

I think initially the problem was with the recycle depots that paid the 10 cents. The government was guaranteeing I think 15 cents therefore the extra on the slab for example. However reuse companies expanded and so the recyclers found a better income source. Naturally the Government stopped paying and continued to reap the added cost.

If you live near the Queensland or Victorian border going to be cheaper going interstate to buy items with the deposit and then give to a friend to redeem the deposit because it illegal for you to get deposit on items not purchased in NSW but Queensland is bringing in the scheme next year.
That is probably why there is a lack of depots near the border.

I got one of those machines just down the road from me at Bulli but who the hell is gonna stand there and put in their cans/bottles in one by one

also the non crushed can and labels on the bottles is a joke . so we are supposed to recycle but not crush the cans to actually maximize the space we need to recycle . am I supposed to not crush the cans on my head like a real man ?

Do you think with good glass beer bottles that you can use that if the labels where soaked off carefully they could be put on other bottles that do not have a deposit like tomato sauce and collect the deposit that way .

Do you think with good glass beer bottles that you can use that if the labels where soaked off carefully they could be put on other bottles that do not have a deposit like tomato sauce and collect the deposit that way .
possibly

is said careful operation worth 10 cents though ?

What a joke. Can't crush cans, have vending machines that take one bottle at a time... From the state that brought you the rum rebellion, the Fitzgerald inquiry and more recent political corruption scandals, I'm shocked that a BS scheme has been devised (oozes sarcasm here).

When a neighbouring State (SA) has had a scheme that works that can be directly modelled off of, why reinvent the wheel? Save your containers (right down to the little yakult bottles) till you have enough to justify you trip to the depot. Multiple young blokes count up your bottles etc and in 5 mins your driving away with 40-50 bucks. Everyone's happy and our 80% recycling rate shows how successful it is.

Also to the comment that people will raid your recycling bins and leave your rubbish everywhere afterwards. Well that doesn't seem to happen. I've seen them do it often enough here in SA and never seen them leave a mess. If your concerned about that then don't put deposit bottles in your recycling bin.

What a joke. Can't crush cans, have vending machines that take one bottle at a time... From the state that brought you the rum rebellion, the Fitzgerald inquiry and more recent political corruption scandals, I'm shocked that a BS scheme has been devised (oozes sarcasm here).

When a neighbouring State (SA) has had a scheme that works that can be directly modelled off of, why reinvent the wheel? Save your containers (right down to the little yakult bottles) till you have enough to justify you trip to the depot. Multiple young blokes count up your bottles etc and in 5 mins your driving away with 40-50 bucks. Everyone's happy and our 80% recycling rate shows how successful it is.

Also to the comment that people will raid your recycling bins and leave your rubbish everywhere afterwards. Well that doesn't seem to happen. I've seen them do it often enough here in SA and never seen them leave a mess. If your concerned about that then don't put deposit bottles in your recycling bin.

Except we already have over 75% recycling rate for those items. This is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

If they were serious about the environment, they would be looking at soft plastics.

Seems they have a problem phantom recycle centers on there web site and when do find one the reverse vending machines are out of order.

Yes

I remember many, many years ago, when I was a young kid growing up on the Eyre Peninsula in SA.

It was pretty common for my Dad and to a lesser extent my Mum, to chug down a few tallies whenever we were driving to or from some place or other.

Whenever Dad finished a tallie, he'd wind the window down and with a well practised flick, send the empty sailing back over the roof of the car and into the bushes on the side of the road. We thought it was a pretty damned impressive and got quite excited when the bottle bounced around a bit and landed, usually in tact.

Enter 1977 and the introduction of the recycling scheme. Mum used to get us kids into the van and we'd drive along those roads, picking up the very same bottles that Dad had launched out of the car, in the months/years before.

Latest posts

Back