Npt Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I noticed when purchasing anything threaded from the US that everything seems to be NPT as opposed to our standard BSP. I stumbled accross these guys that have a great range of NPT fittings which are perfect for items like the PT100 probe sensor from Auberins with the NPT thread. Maybe of some use to someone out there in Brewery Land. Click on product focus on the top menu home page & select piping products on the left menu.

http://www.prochem.com.au/home/

Crusty

Alot of the gear from Craftbrewer is also NPT

Just found this,

"MPT" means "male pipe thread". "FPT" means "female pipe thread".
"NPT" ("national pipe thread") is simply a generic term for
that same pipe thread, male or female.

In other words, "MPT" and "male NPT" means the same thing.

Similarly, MIP (male iron pipe) == MPT and FIP (female iron pipe) == FPT.

I assumed MPT was different to NPT. My bad.

Any idea what their prices are like Crusty?

I haven't priced anything but have heard they are quite expensive.
I was trying to source a BSP/NPT reducing bush so I could screw the male BSP into a regular T-Piece & use the NPT for the Auberins temp probe on the NPT side. I hear everyone else just uses threadtape & no-one has reported any leaking issues.

Crusty

For the record NPT - National Pipe Thread ( Thread form used by US )
BSPT - British Pipe Thread ( Thread form used in Britain )
1/2 inch and 3/4 in both sizes are interchangable. Thread pitch in all other sizes are only slightly different, so for low pressure, thread tape will do the job.
Either fitting should not be hard to find.
Thanks
Scott.

Scott, the 1/2" and 3/4" sizes are only "sort of" compatible in a tapered thread. The parallel thread NPT will cause problems with BSP - I know, having had to re-thread many, many 1/2" and 3/4" sockets.

Wes

I haven't priced anything but have heard they are quite expensive.
I was trying to source a BSP/NPT reducing bush so I could screw the male BSP into a regular T-Piece & use the NPT for the Auberins temp probe on the NPT side. I hear everyone else just uses threadtape & no-one has reported any leaking issues.

Crusty

Hey crusty. If your really worried you can always get a temp probe made. They are more expensive but you'd get exactly what you want. I got a quote for a 2inch probe, 1/2" BSP RTD probe like this one, with the connector so you can leave the probe screwed in but can unplug the wires http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=107. The price i got quoted was $85 ex gst from a place called pyrosales. Probably not a road you really want to go down but it is an option. I plan to do it one day when i get some money. I have a 1/2 NPT dial thermo and it certainly doesn't fit well in a BSP t-piece.

Just spoke to prochem & can get this setup, stainless of course.

1/2"x1/2" crossover nipple, BSP/NPT $24.00
Reducing coupling, 1/2" NPTx1/4" NPT $28.00

Only got a 4" probe so will have to be sure it threads far enough in to that turbulent flow.

Really trying to avoid screwing that NPT into a BSP fitting.

Crusty

Just spoke to prochem & can get this setup, stainless of course.

1/2"x1/2" crossover nipple, BSP/NPT $24.00
Reducing coupling, 1/2" NPTx1/4" NPT $28.00

Only got a 4" probe so will have to be sure it threads far enough in to that turbulent flow.

Really trying to avoid screwing that NPT into a BSP fitting.

Crusty

Linky

Wes, just after a bit of clarification. Are you saying that you have had problems screwing a parallel thread into a tapered socket?
The T in NPT and BSPT stands for tapered, BSPP for parallel. Parallel fittings require parallel ports and correct sealing surfaces.

Wes, just after a bit of clarification. Are you saying that you have had problems screwing a parallel thread into a tapered socket?
The T in NPT and BSPT stands for tapered, BSPP for parallel. Parallel fittings require parallel ports and correct sealing surfaces.

Exactly!

NPT male thread will screw into a BSP female socket but the mating of the two isn't ideal. A lot of people on here have just used thread tape & mated the two but it's not a good match. I'm going to get the proper NPT fittings for the NPT probes.

BSP/NPT Explained

Crusty

Hmmm... I need a 45 degree elbow, stainless, female to female - 1/2" BSP thread.

Need to try and get my BeerBelly pickup tube into a reasonable position on my 70L CraftBrewer BIAB pot (with 1/2" BSP pipe, male fitting inside).

Any ideas?

All I can find online is reasonably priced NPT versions from Hong Kong, or expensive BPT fittings ex-USA.

Why is everything so hard to find online locally?

Hmmm... I need a 45 degree elbow, stainless, female to female - 1/2" BSP thread.

Need to try and get my BeerBelly pickup tube into a reasonable position on my 70L CraftBrewer BIAB pot (with 1/2" BSP pipe, male fitting inside).

Any ideas?

All I can find online is reasonably priced NPT versions from Hong Kong, or expensive BPT fittings ex-USA.

Geordi Stainless have got it if I'm reading your post right. 45deg, 12mm ( 1/2" ) $6.00.

Any ideas?

At 1/2 inch size NTP and BSP are interchanagle without issues for home brewing purposes, picture/proof here on my blog. However, the quality of some of the cheap ebay fittings has a bit to be desired.

3/8, 1/2, 3/4 npt is compatable with bsp threads, think of a fire sprinkler system ALL sprinklers are npt and all of the fitting that are used including the paps welded to the pipe are bsp. all of the wet pipe systems (most common) are able to hold a constant 1000kpa of pressure and 90% of the heads are hemped not taped, so for the amount of pressure we use for brewing it is not a problem

Latest posts

Back