Not Sure What This Is?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
I found this "slimey" type substance in my storage container. It is the same shape as my plastic container so it appears it formed a "skin". I also noticed loose "milky" stuff below in the liquid. The container stores my "no rinse sanitiser liquid solution" in this container and when I wanted to pour it out, I noticed it was not clear and found this irregularity.
(see pictures attached)
Has the solution reacted with the plastic container?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Any clues?

Thanks.

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

i'd put the entire container in a 10ml thick glass fully sealed container, watch it closely. advise not sleeping tonight without someone on nightwatch.
tomorrow morning call universal studios and let them know that you have substance for a new movie.

donate all profits from the movie to maintain this forum.

imo

Phos acid will do that when diluted with water, even in a glass jar, could be the acid reacting with the crap our councils put in our water.

Or not.

Andrew

I would say it has ripped something off the plastic. Another reason why no-rinse sanitiser should be rinsed.

tnd

The new Holllywood blockbuster....

ALIEN vs SANITISER.....In space no one can hear a germ scream...

that looks exactly like the stuff that was 'growing' in my metal alkali glassware cleaning baths in the lab. i have no idea whether it was alive, or some sort of precipitate/gel...

I would say it has ripped something off the plastic. Another reason why no-rinse sanitiser should be rinsed.

tnd

i remember listening to a podcast that had one of the owners of five star chemicals on the show, and this question came up

i cant remember exactly what he explained, but it had something to do with the ions (or charge) in the plastic molecules

someone chemically minded might be able to explain the reaction ?

he said it doesnt strip the plastic, and he said it was safe (but then again, what else would one expect to hear from him)

ever noticed the slimy feeling that starsan leaves on plastic when you leave it in the container for a couple of hours ?

Back