Not A Fan Of Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matilda bay make Dirty Granny.

Litte Creatures make Pipsqueak cider. Nice and dry with the champagne yeast they use.

Ill try that out.

All those added fruit ones are rubbish, the ones I have had remind me of bubble gum artificial flavours.

Still reckon its better to make your own.

I really like Aspall dry cider from Dans. Bit exxy though. About same price as some good import beers. Worth it imo.

Unfortunately, cider is dominated, much like the beer scene, with macro garbage that should not even be called cider, since they are not even made with real apples. Just like how the beer scene is dominated by macro crap that uses cane sugar instead of malted barley/wheat etc. in their mash.

You won't find a lot of good cider at the chain stores. Henney's is probably the most accessible. The two to really look out for are Gwynt y Draig, from Wales, which are incredible ciders, and Thorogoods from South Australia, which are possibly the best scrumpys in the world. Thorogoods deserves everyones money.

The French ciders are also wonderful. They do not pasturise their apple juice, which means the wild yeast strains found in the cider apples partially ferment some of the sugars, and create that noticable funk that is in French ciders. They are exquisite. The Spanish ones are tending towards that way, with less funk, and far more clean, but still very good.

It also doesn't help they had the inaugural cider awards in Australia this year, which was judged by a bunch of (ADLIB) "Fantastic" folks, who gave medals to some of the worst "ciders" on the market, and then complained that the Dupont Normandy Cider was way too funky. IT IS THE LEAST FUNKY OF ALL THE DUPONTS!

But some of us are advocating cider as much as we are beer!

And someone mentioned that fruit should never be in beer.

Cantillon proves you very much wrong, my friend.

Unfortunately, cider is dominated, much like the beer scene, with macro garbage that should not even be called cider, since they are not even made with real apples. Just like how the beer scene is dominated by macro crap that uses cane sugar instead of malted barley/wheat etc. in their mash.

You won't find a lot of good cider at the chain stores. Henney's is probably the most accessible. The two to really look out for are Gwynt y Draig, from Wales, which are incredible ciders, and Thorogoods from South Australia, which are possibly the best scrumpys in the world. Thorogoods deserves everyones money.

The French ciders are also wonderful. They do not pasturise their apple juice, which means the wild yeast strains found in the cider apples partially ferment some of the sugars, and create that noticable funk that is in French ciders. They are exquisite. The Spanish ones are tending towards that way, with less funk, and far more clean, but still very good.

It also doesn't help they had the inaugural cider awards in Australia this year, which was judged by a bunch of (ADLIB) "Fantastic" folks, who gave medals to some of the worst "ciders" on the market, and then complained that the Dupont Normandy Cider was way too funky. IT IS THE LEAST FUNKY OF ALL THE DUPONTS!

Thorogoods :icon_drool2:
and thier apples beers are probably best on show in Australia.

Only issue with Thorogoods is they won't tell people what goes into/how to make their Apple Beers, so no one knows if they are gluten free :/

Where does Magners Irish Cider sit in the Cider world? I'm guessing not highly rated but better than swill like Strongbow?

I'd say you're on the money there Mark. Nothing special though. It does however lend to mixing with other fruit. I love shelling a litchi (lychee) and dropping it into a glass of Bulmers/Magners.

Bulmers on tap is nice

I had a spanish still cider which was drawn from a large wooden cask. It was bloody amazing :icon_drool2:
Turned me into a cider fan.

Cider from these funky people is on tap at the Wheatsheaf in Adelaide at the moment.

It's a natural cider (a blend of apples and pears) and tastes amazing, like cider should. :icon_drool2:

This shit drink is taking up taps that could have beer on them.

When I was travelling around europe I ended up deciding not to go to the uk but really wanted to drink some decent ales and in particular some on the hand pump. When I was in Ljublunia (slovenia) I went to an Irish pub that had an excellent range of beer (belgian, american craft brews, english ales ect). I thoiught I was in heaven while sipping on a Rochefort 10 until I saw the bar tender pulling a handpump. After finishing my Rochefort I went over and asked what was on the Handpump, I was rather excited. He told me it was XYZ cider... I decided I needed to drown my sorrows with another excellent bottled beer (think it was a dogfish 2IPA from memory). It was a terrible dissapointment, but the bottled beers were hard to beat.

Back