Not A Fan Of Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else shares the same opinion. Probably not. Bit of a rant coming...

Okay, for starters I generally don't like fermented fruit drinks. I like some beers that have fruit in them, but that is as far as I'll go. I love sparkling apple juice, just not fermented apple juice. Dunno why.

It pisses me off that cider is becoming more popular and particularly its alignment to craft brew. I see it as more akin to champagne or something like that. I don't think it's anything like beer except perhaps in serving method.

Anyway, probably most people will disagree but surely someone agrees with me? This shit drink is taking up taps that could have beer on them. Also some megaswill pubs are starting to have for example Monteiths cider when you'd kill for a Monteiths beer in its place!

And Beer and Brewer mag is starting to get too much cider content for my liking too.

End rant.

Nice rant. :icon_cheers:

I don't mind a cider occasionally, but I wouldn't want it every day. On the other hand, the Mrs is quite partial....

T.

I prefer the non-alco versions of cider & ginger beer. I find them more refreshing.

Still I don't exactly get annoyed if I happen to see a cider.
Had a nice one at a Pyrmont pub a few months back but i was pretty smashed and was just working my way through the taps... stamford press cider?

I don't like dry versions of fermented fruit booze. Seems wrong to me.

Apples are meant to taste sweet FFS.

Add to that I don't really like too much sweet booze unless it's seriously high alcohol.

So yeah, cider is shit.

I had a Perry once that tasted like smoker's breath.

I should probably be more specific. I don't have any issues with cider existing. It's good for people to have choice. I have more issue with its alignment with beer and particularly craft beer. I don't understand the alignment and I don't like it.

I disagree, while i don't drink it every day i do like to have the ocational one and my brewing reflects that. The increase in availablity of the craft versions is a good thing, it allows the craft brewers an "in" to a public which may not nessisailry be aware of or have the desire to try a craft beer but cider is "different" In turn more people drink a craft brand = increased sales this can then allow the brewer to invest more into their business and look at ways at greater distribution and do what is at the core of their business. It might be a little short term pain for a greater good.

Probably just that both are niche and artisan - taking back traditional methods threatened by large corporations.

Aren't there artisan versions of other drinks though? All drinks really. I'm starting to think it's more than cider can be poured from beer taps and is pale and bubbly. Superficial similarities.

I disagree, while i don't drink it every day i do like to have the ocational one and my brewing reflects that. The increase in availablity of the craft versions is a good thing, it allows the craft brewers an "in" to a public which may not nessisailry be aware of or have the desire to try a craft beer but cider is "different" In turn more people drink a craft brand = increased sales this can then allow the brewer to invest more into their business and look at ways at greater distribution and do what is at the core of their business. It might be a little short term pain for a greater good.

Fair enough mate, that's an interesting take on it for sure. I guess in the example I gave maybe Monteiths will end up having a beer on tap in that pub if the cider works out.

im not too fussed with cider gettin into the more "crafty" pubs because my missus loves cider and she can get all "crafty" with me and be happy to goto these "crafty" places with me which gives me more opportunity to drink awsome "crafty" beer. Plus i can brew cider (easily too) which also helps keep the missus off my back for brewing because i make her something every known again.

optimists way of looking at it :D

I don't mind the odd cider, but agreed that I wouldn't drink it as a staple.

I've heard it's really bad for your teeth due to the high acidity...

Whilst I've always been a beer drinker it was cider that got me into brewing.
I love cider. Whats its connection to beer - none really. I guess Mercurys current add "100 years of being mistaken for beer" just goes to show that for the most part people look at an amber fluid coming from a tap or brown bottle with bubbles containing alcohol and assume its beer.

I don't drink cider but a lot of my mates who don't drink beer (weird bastards) do.
It does make buying rounds better because they're not asking for $12 stubbys of jack Daniels or some shit like that anymore.

Fruit has no place in any alcoholic Beverage...............I am sure Ben Connery would agree with me :p

Cheers

Paul

I should probably be more specific. I don't have any issues with cider existing. It's good for people to have choice. I have more issue with its alignment with beer and particularly craft beer. I don't understand the alignment and I don't like it.

Although I love cider I agree with this sentiment. The only similarity between cider and beer is they are both fermented drinks with similar abv. Craft cider makers actually get annoyed when lumped in with beer brewers. Cider is about fruit and processes while beer is about recipes. Cider is much closer to grape wine, remember wine is also made from fruit, so if you don't like fermented fruit drinks you don't like wine.

When discussing cider you have to realise there is hardly any real craft cider sold in Australia, and hardly any proper cider apple trees. The cider mostly sold is the cider equivalent of goon. Proper cider is made from proper cider apples fully ripened, not grannysmith or red delicious picked early to store well. Cider apples ripen till they fall from the tree, then they have the right flavour.

Latest posts

Back