Northern Brewer Hops - What To Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftboy

Reaction score
I have a 100gm vac pack of (German ?) Northern Brewer 9.6%AA sitting in the fridge.

I'm looking for ideas of what style to use it with, as I can only find 3 references to it in Brewing Classic Styles (Cal Common, American Brown Ale & a RIS).

I've tried a bottle of Anchor Steam & wasn't a huge fan of it, so I'm reluctant to do a batch of Cal Common. Can I subsitute it for Magnum & do a Bock ?

Any other ideas of what it would be suitable for ?.

I made some lawnmower ale with it, wasn't too bad

4kg Pils
1kg Rice

I used Northern Brewer as the only hops.

This one ended up more as a steam beer, Ale yeast fermented at 30 due to fridge failure.

I will make it again, but 2 changes
- ferment at correct temps, may even try it as a lager
- Throw in something for a nicer aroma; like Hersbrucker

QldKev

IMO German NB hops go well in everything as a bittering hop.

- Snow

Spot on. Its a great bittering hop, or can be used by itself. Nice clean flavour profile.

4kg (any) pilsner malt
0.5kg rice (boiled to shit)
0.5kg cane sugar to fermenter

Mash @ 66

Northern brewer FWH to say to 15 or so IBU

And something like saaz - anything with a nice flavour and aroma to finish it off. Say @20 and @5

Ferment with US-05 @ 17-18 until done. Crash chill, gelatine, polyclar. Serve. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I have a 100gm vac pack of (German ?) Northern Brewer 9.6%AA sitting in the fridge.

I'm looking for ideas of what style to use it with, as I can only find 3 references to it in Brewing Classic Styles (Cal Common, American Brown Ale & a RIS).

I've tried a bottle of Anchor Steam & wasn't a huge fan of it, so I'm reluctant to do a batch of Cal Common. Can I subsitute it for Magnum & do a Bock ?

Any other ideas of what it would be suitable for ?.

Was your sample of anchor steam fresh? All to common here is imported bottles are far from their best. Especially in summer. Give the california common a go and see what you really think

Anchor Steam uses US Northern Brewer, not German.

The German NB are a great bittering hop in an APA.

Was your sample of anchor steam fresh? All to common here is imported bottles are far from their best. Especially in summer. Give the california common a go and see what you really think

It was reasonably fresh (about 3 months old). It was brought over by a friend coming back from the US.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I'll go & bang something together in Beersmith.

I've just used some German NB to bitter a Mild brewed today.

I like it as a bittering hop, very smooth.
It blends in very nicely with whatever flavour/aroma hops you wish to use.

+10,000,000

Fantastic bittering, pleasant and unique (AFAIK) woody aroma if you are feeling bold. I see no reason for POR if I have access to NB.

I use what I assume are English Northern Brewer and find them a great smooth bittering hop. I have used them in Belgian styles and English styles mainly. Not sure how different German and English might be.

Latest posts

Back