Noob...refrigerating bottles under 2 weeks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winny

Reaction score
Title says it all, probably a dumb question. I bottled my first brew 12 days ago a mex cerveza, was wondering if i put in the fridge tonight in prep for its late friday night/sat unveiling if it would do anything unbecoming to it. :icon_drunk:

It'll most likely still be flat/sweet. Try one and see how it goes. I usually leave my bottles for a minimum of 4 weeks before even thinking of chilling them down.

I have had a beer carbonated in a week. The flavour development however
....... Not so good.
Like slcmorro said chill one bottle and have a cracker. (long neck in the freezer for about 45 minutes Normally gets it close.

Rob.P said:
I have had a beer carbonated in a week. The flavour development however
....... Not so good.
Like slcmorro said chill one bottle and have a cracker. (long neck in the freezer for about 45 minutes Normally gets it close.
n[attachment=79350:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425630847.680895.jpg bloody mint just need to sort head out

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425630847.680895.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425630847.680895.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27
7 days to bottle carbonate is fine where you are Winny- even in winter! But as Rob.P said, the longer you can leave them the better they'll get.
Congrats on the first brew.

Cheers,
RB

Winny said:
Title says it all, probably a dumb question. I bottled my first brew 12 days ago a mex cerveza, was wondering if i put in the fridge tonight in prep for its late friday night/sat unveiling if it would do anything unbecoming to it. :icon_drunk:
After 2 weeks try one,note it then after 3 weeks try another again note it,after 4 weeks go again....
Even sampling out of the test flask ( when taking readings) will give you some idea of what will be if you can imagine it fully carbonated.

Man, shove one in the freezer for a bit and see how it goes. It'll be great, then you'll be pissed off you didn't do more!

If you can, run two fermenters a week apart for a while to built up stock that can "mature" in the bottle for a while. Do what Spog recommended and make a few notes, that way you'll find the right number of weeks in that bottle to suit your taste etc.
Cheers
Ps. Head retention should improve the longer in the bottle.

Jazzman said:
Man, shove one in the freezer for a bit and see how it goes. It'll be great, then you'll be pissed off you didn't do more!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425717372.524810.jpg

Winny said:
n[attachment=79350:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425630847.680895.jpg bloody mint just need to sort head out
[/QUOTE]Beer and good head. What more could you want?

Rob.P said:
Beer and good head. What more could you want?
would love to be able to get it to hold a head , I hear corn syrup is the trick

In most cases the drinking vessel is the culprit. Make sure your glasses are clean and do not have a film of detergent. About 250gms of maltodextrin in your brews will also help with head retention.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back