Noob Kegging questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
Noob questions are about to begin. Can you overfill a keg? How much do you fill it?

yes you can. i normally fill to ether the top weld in the keg or just below the gas dip tube

I always have a few bottles spare and ready to go just in case I end up with some left after filling the keg, this also allows me to share my brews around from time to time.

as Barls mentioned, you don't want to fill above the gas dip tube as it makes it easier for the beer to back flow up your gas lines which can be potentially fatal for your regulator. (this can also happen if you rock and roll carb your kegs).

How do you see if you used starsan or should I be using iodaphor? I feel the condensation creep trick is too slow

Fill to the top weld and your good to go

Rocker1986 i think he might mean its hard to see where the beer is filling to when he uses starsan to sanitise his keg, as the foam pours out the top of the keg as it is filling. As to the OP, like previously mentioned, as long as the beer level does not fill over the gas dip tube all is good.

Ah. Yes that would make sense. I purge mine with CO2 first and then just use a silicon hose to fill mine from the FV, so I can look inside the keg and see the level rising. Maybe not the greatest practice in the world but haven't had any issues yet.

It may seem paranoid but I boil water for final rinse. The starsan bubbles are oxygen? Oxygen not good for finished beer and I like to see into the keg as well.
So I rince out the foam of star san.
Purge with c02 etc.

I put some starsan mix into the keg, seal, add some co2 and then using a plastic picnic tap setup drain some solution through the disconnect. I then open keg, pour out remaining starsan and invert open keg onto some newspaper to drain for about an hour then fill the keg from fermenter via silicone hose. Works well, no foam issues and with the aid of a torch can easily see beer level.
Cheers

i'm with Danscraftbeer….final rinse everything with boiling water.

Wasn't beer invented BC?, did they use sanitisers or sterilisers back then?

i think not…. but i bet they used boiling water!

just a thought…..

I suppose you travel to work in a horse and cart too.

Whatever they did thousands of years ago is because it was the best option they had at the time. There are better options nowadays. If Starsan caused oxidation problems it would surely be far worse in bottles since the ratio of foam to beer is a lot more in 30 or 60 bottles than it is in one 19 litre keg. Nobody seems to ever complain about that....

Slightly off topic but regarding the Starsan. I mix to ratio on the bottle with demineralised water and a spray bottle and never get the foaming out the top. Do you lads just go hard with how much you put in? Ps never had an infection so must be working.

Nope, I use the recommended 1.5mL per litre ratio as well. It does foam up when I mix it up in the spray bottle, but when I actually spray it on stuff it's not too bad. The bubbles burst if you leave it sit there for a few mins anyway. Then purge it (keg) with CO2 to remove the oxygen. Not seeing what the big issue is here to be perfectly honest. :rolleyes:

Back