non -alcohol ginger beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Is there a recipe, or is it possible, to make a no alcohol or low alcohol ginger beer or cider etc that I could brew for my sweet wife?
She has asked a few times now to make something but I manage to keep changing the subject, but now since I have a lot better grasp on brewing, I feel I would love give to give it a try.
anyone got a recipe or some ideas?
cheers guys
Al

I've got something I have been working on which is chopped a bit from something I'd seen somewhere,but it's on my desktop so if I remember I'll add it on here. Made from fresh ginger root, light brown sugar, there's lemon and lime juice, dextrose, and my own addition - a vial of "Scorpion Venom" - a purified extract from the Trinidad Scorpion chilli which adds a nice bite - not quite Tabasco heat but probably halfway there!

Once I get up tomorrow I'll try remember to add it

It's pretty easy to knock something up.

I make Ginger beer for the kids, which I keg. But previously (and as a kid) we made it fermented for carbonation.

You can just make it to taste, and given ginger can be a bit 'bitey', maybe this is a good idea.

I would always include: ginger, sugar, lemon (juice & rind).

My recipe says:
4 lemons
5 cups of sugar
10 teaspoons of ground ginger
32 cups of water

But it's very rough, for example - how big is a lemon?!
Do *not* leave out the lemon. Unless you really hate lemon.

Boil these together. Use dried & powdered ginger if you like, or fresh.

Make a small batch, probably a bit sweeter than you think. Then cool and taste it. The colder things are, less able you are to perceive food flavours.
If it tastes good, make a bigger batch, and put it in some PET bottles with a bit of yeast (it doesn't matter a big lot on type, even bread yeast works OK).

Leave the bottles out at room temp, but cop a feel every day. Once they go hard, they're ready, and get them in the 'fridge.
If you have glass bottles, just make one in PET, and feel that. Obviously anything fermented has at least a small amount of alcohol. So if you're pregnant, make it with direct carbonation.

Another recipe I've read, but have not made (but it comes from a respected source) is to substitute honey for half the sugar.
I don't really like honey much though.

Normal brewing practices are used WRT sanitation, and bottle filling, etc. etc.

Mr Wibble said:
It's pretty easy to knock something up.

I make Ginger beer for the kids, which I keg. But previously (and as a kid) we made it fermented for carbonation.

You can just make it to taste, and given ginger can be a bit 'bitey', maybe this is a good idea.

I would always include: ginger, sugar, lemon (juice & rind).

My recipe says:
4 lemons
5 cups of sugar
10 teaspoons of ground ginger
32 cups of water

But it's very rough, for example - how big is a lemon?!
Do *not* leave out the lemon. Unless you really hate lemon.

Boil these together. Use dried & powdered ginger if you like, or fresh.

Make a small batch, probably a bit sweeter than you think. Then cool and taste it. The colder things are, less able you are to perceive food flavours.
If it tastes good, make a bigger batch, and put it in some PET bottles with a bit of yeast (it doesn't matter a big lot on type, even bread yeast works OK).

Leave the bottles out at room temp, but cop a feel every day. Once they go hard, they're ready, and get them in the 'fridge.
If you have glass bottles, just make one in PET, and feel that. Obviously anything fermented has at least a small amount of alcohol. So if you're pregnant, make it with direct carbonation.

Another recipe I've read, but have not made (but it comes from a respected source) is to substitute honey for half the sugar.
I don't really like honey much though.

Normal brewing practices are used WRT sanitation, and bottle filling, etc. etc.
yup this could be the go....thanks guys

Had a go at this last night as 3 of the 4 adults in the house this weekend aren't drinking. Boiled up about 5 litres of water with 500g of honey, 250g brown sugar, juice and rind from 3 lemons and 3 limes and 750g of grated ginger. Based on chappos recipe but I dropped the sugar as I am not going to ferment. Will dilute down to 10 or 11 litres in a keg today and force carb. Tasted nice and bitey last night so here's hoping it comes up well!

Back