No Premixes = More Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
I saw something the other day where the big brewers had announced that they were going to discontinue making premixed drinks.

That got me thinking. There are going to be a lot of empty fridges in bottle shops around the country. Anyone think that it might translate into more beer?

They're only discontinuing the high alcohol ones, over 7% percent I think. So, look for a bigger marketing push and an expansion in the range of the more moderately boozy ones.

from here

Foster's Group Ltd and Lion Nathan Ltd have dropped ready-to-drink (RTD) products with a high alcohol content and energy additives from their Australian portfolios in response to community concerns about alcohol abuse.

Cheers,

microbe

Bugger. Thanks for clearing that up - I only half caught it on the news. Seems I missed a vital bit :)

Yeah, I couldn't see them throwing all that market away.

I thought that there should be a push to get rid of the girly/kidz drinks (as that's what the furore is about)...But it seems that the industry is pushing the top end of the market down (i.e. high alcohol) to balloon out at the "more socially acceptable" alco-pops. Does that sound like real concern, regarding alcohol abuse?

I see this as the industry's effort to re-gain control and appear to self-regulate by throwing a blanket over the public's eyes, while still pushing the "soft drink" market. You know that they are meant to care about responsible consumption of alcohol, and they shouldn't be making drinks that appeal to kids.

What market share does the "strong mixer" have compared to the "RTD/ alco-pop" market?
It's all a ploy. Does that work for you?

I can't see the beer market expanding as a result, either way. The big boys will still be happy to leave your beer out in the sun and not in the fridge, until you show a need for quality control.

Les the socially responsible :p (until I get a few beers inside me guts, then it's a free-for all) :lol:

Yeah, I couldn't see them throwing all that market away.

~snip~

What market share does the "strong mixer" have compared to the "RTD/ alco-pop" market?
It's all a ploy. Does that work for you?

~snip~

Nail on the head there Les.

Cheers,

microbe

The stronger RTD's, especially the energy drink ones (because they taste mostly like red bull) are very popular amongst underages. All I can see coming out of this is other drink prices increasing to offset the lost profits from the stronger ones.

It is no problem for the CUB and Lion Nathan to drop High ABV energy drinks as they control zilch % of the market compared to Diagio and other players. Also being new players in the market both are fighting for shelf space and probably got ranged out of Woolies and Coles which would be 40% of their entire distributions. It wouldn't surprise me to see more regulation put on retailers to decrease high % ABV brands as well. No doubt the Feds will regulate the ones who fail to regulate themselves.

Cheers, JJ

Back