No Need To Mash Crystal Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought myself the complete guide to beer & brewing by Laurie Strachan & have a question regarding Crystal Malt.
In a chapter on Crystal Malt, it states that a mash is not required to extract the sugars from the grain.
Should I just toss the Crystal into the mashtun ( unmilled ) with all the milled grain & mash as usual or should I mill it up with everything else & mash as normal? I assume Caramel Malt is trated the same as Crystal.
Cheers,
Crusty

Doesn't NEED to be mashed, can be steeped. If you're doing a mash, might as well throw it in there otherwise you'll have to do a seperate steep.

and you still need to mill it

Hi all,
I bought myself the complete guide to beer & brewing by Laurie Strachan & have a question regarding Crystal Malt.
In a chapter on Crystal Malt, it states that a mash is not required to extract the sugars from the grain.
Should I just toss the Crystal into the mashtun ( unmilled ) with all the milled grain & mash as usual or should I mill it up with everything else & mash as normal? I assume Caramel Malt is trated the same as Crystal.
Cheers,
Crusty
Crystal doesn't need to be mashed, If I was doing the brew I would mill and add it at the end of the mash if you are seperate lautering.But if you are measuring pH as you mash and pH is high then put it in with your main mash to lower your pH to 5.2-5.4 pH.IE crystal will lower your pH.Hope this helps and this makes sense.I step mash so I could be leading down the wrong track.Others could may be define the point better.
GB

If you're only running sparge water over it, is this enough to extract the goodies ? I've heard of crystal being added just prior to sparging for colour only

If you're only running sparge water over it, is this enough to extract the goodies ? I've heard of crystal being added just prior to sparging for colour only
Yes just wack it in at 10 mins from of end of mashing and you will get all the sugar out of the grain and it doesnt affect main grain mash conversion pH.A good sparge/Fly will take at least 60 mins so even if its not mashed you should get most of the sugars.Crystal is already converted due to the malting/kilning process so its just waiting to be washed out.
GB

Thanks guys,
If adding it to the mashtun for the full 60 minute mash duration butters, I assume just leave it whole. No need to mill it.
Cheers,
Crusty

IMHO, add it with the rest of the grain. If you need to adjust pH in the mash, do so with an acid, which can be quantified (ie you need x amount to drop pH by Y amount), instead of the crystal "Lowering it a bit, it might come into line".
Just my opinion, as I said. But please don't make me argue about science. It makes me a sad Panda. :(
Nobody likes a sad panda.
GB

Thanks guys,
If adding it to the mashtun for the full 60 minute mash duration butters, I assume just leave it whole. No need to mill it.
Cheers,
Crusty

Hi Crusty,

Still needs to be milled mate.

cheers ross

Thanks Ross,
I think I'll treat it as any other grain & mill it & add to the mash.
Cheers,
Crusty

Thanks butters,
I am using Beersmith & still have to vary things a little.
In the mash it goes.
Cheers,
Crusty

Latest posts

Back