No Knead Bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Ok Folks. According to the article posted by Brewer Pete the no kneed method plus baking in a Dutch Oven gives the best bread in the history of ever. According to the baker who developed it, even an 8 year old can do it. I don't happen to have a handy 8 year old so I roped in my just 9 year old and we gave it a go.

Step 1 - Make the dough

IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg

Step 2 - Leave to rise for 18-24 hours

IMG_1192.jpg

Step 3 - Shape the loaf and let rise again

IMG_1196.jpg

Step 4 - Bake in Dutch Oven

IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg

Step 5 - Eat

IMG_1202.jpg

OK. There weere really two things being tested here - no knead and dutch oven baking.

The no knead method certainly works. I don't think the texture is superior to the knead method but it certainly is easy. Next time I will make the mix a little wetter as I felt the dough was a little hard. I suspect that is my very high protein flour though which needs quite a bit of moisture to make a really supple dough. My helper had a great time doing it so it is definitely something we will add to the repertoire.

Baking in the Dutch oven though was a revelation. The key to a good crust is humidity during the initial baking. Professionals get this through steam injected ovens and by baking masses of bread at a time to keep the humidity in the oven high. Us mere mortals baking one or two loaves ina regular oven have to make do with a water spray or other methods of humidity raising. Or you can use a Dutch oven. The small space gives the same effect as a commercial oven stacked full of bread. It gives higher humidity during the initial baking and has produced without a doubt the best crust I have ever produced. You could even hear it cracking as it cooled. I think the Dutch oven will become a standard for all my round loaves. I'll have to work out how to do something similar for other shapes.

Cheers
Dave

You can also just use a shallow baking tray filled with water to create stem within your oven.

Interesting method. I was always a fan of kneading bread until it was beatifully smoothed and slightly resistant and found bread kneaded/cooked in this way to come out light and fluffy with a good crust particularly if cooked in a shallower dish. Few other people I worked with seemed to be bothered with the time that took and subsequently their loaves were lacking.

Well greased tray, olive oil and a good sprinkling of sea salt on the top , prove a second time in the baking tray till just close to the top level of the tray then in the oven. On removal, knock straight out, place back in the oven briefly to dry.crisp up the underside and leave on a cooling rack to rest (don't cut too early).

This was in commercial kitchens - my crappy oven doesn't even seal properly so I've not even attempted baking in it.

Anyway that loaf looks the goods and is making me hungry.

I have found that a good spoon full of olive oil in the dough helps keep it moist for longer

Hi Dave,

That looks great mate. I just started a sourdough starter this morning which should be right (I hope) for next weekend baking. My wife bought a new Le Creuset dutch oven in the post Christmas sales recently which we'll try out on the bread.

Question though - did you bake in the oven or on the stove top? What temperature and time?

Cheers.

Folks

On the no knead thing - Manticle, I'm with you on the kneading. I knead till its lovely and smooth and frankly, despite the glowing articles on no knead you find on the web that say the texture is better than anything since ever, I still think the kneaded bread has a better texture. The no knead is certainly easy but like all things you get what you pay for. Investing some time in the kneading certainly pays off. It was great for the boy though. He's absolutely chuffed at the loaf he made and he doesn't have the strength (or attention span) to do a good job of a kneaded loaf. My 6 year old has demanded to be allowed to help with the next loaf.

On the Dutch oven thing - I've tried many methods of getting the humidity up in the oven. I currently use a water spray and have used the pan of hot water in the past. I may well use both next time. They do a pretty good job. The Dutch oven does a really good job within a couple of very fundamental limitations - you can only make one loaf at a time (unless you have two Dutch ovens) and you can only make a round loaf. There really isn't any scope for different shapes, rolls or anything like that. If I'm just making round loaves I'll certainly use the Dutch oven again because its less hassle than pans of hot water and sprays. If I'm not I'll use the other methods.

Duff - put the Dutch oven in the oven before you turn it on. Crank the oven up as high as it will go (literally - turn the dial up up until it won't go any further). When the oven reaches temp, pull the Dutch oven out, bung the bread in, put the lid on and return it to the oven. Turn the oven down to 220. Bake for 30 mins with the lid on then take the lid off and bake for 15-30 mins depending on how dark you like the crust. Mine was about 20 mins.

Cheers
Dave

turn down to 220... sigh. I dream of an oven that will go up to 220.

There are other shapes of Le Creuset type thingys - what about a turine?? If the object of the game is mostly holding in the moisture and making a smaller space within the larger space of your oven.. then couldn't you just fashion a box or bag out of tinfoil and put your baking tins (whatever shape) inside that?

Or is it a combination of the fact that you get to hold the moisture in + you can heat up the dutch over to really really hot, and it holds it heat?? Would not a porcelain/stoneware/glass loaf shaped casserole do much the same thing?

turn down to 220... sigh. I dream of an oven that will go up to 220.

There are other shapes of Le Creuset type thingys - what about a turine?? If the object of the game is mostly holding in the moisture and making a smaller space within the larger space of your oven.. then couldn't you just fashion a box or bag out of tinfoil and put your baking tins (whatever shape) inside that?

Or is it a combination of the fact that you get to hold the moisture in + you can heat up the dutch over to really really hot, and it holds it heat?? Would not a porcelain/stoneware/glass loaf shaped casserole do much the same thing?

I suspect it is a combination of the small space and the heat. If you were to make say an alfoil cover for your loaves I think it would reflect too much heat away. Then again I bake on a heavy stone so maybe it would work. I'll do some experimenting and see what happens. Not sure how I will geta good seal though.... hummm....

The other La Cruiset shapes are an option. I have the terrine and its really too small for anything bread wise (makes a lovely terrine though). You just wouldn't get the space for anything to rise. The oval could be an option but I'm not sure the missus will be so keen on forking out for one just to make bread in.

You should be able to use any heavy, oven proof dish. The original video Brewer Pete posted mentioned cast iron, stoneware and pyrex so if you have any of those you should be right to go.

Cheers
Dave

turn down
There are other shapes of Le Creuset type thingys - what about a turine??

Sorry, Chasseur man myself, who can afford the Le-La-di-da's thingos. :p

But back to thread, I realise the reason to knead, but never notice the difference between a 2 pint and 5 pint knead. Bread always turns out lovely; what exactly are we looking for in this business??

Scotty

Ok... tried another no knead on the weekend. This time using 100% wholemeal flour (mostly because I had run out of everything else). I can categorically state that the no knead technique does not generate enough lift to do an acceptable 100% wholemeal. Lovely flavour but heavy as lead.

Looked beautiful though. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them off the camera.

///- I've always been taught to knead until you can stretch the dough between your fingers and it forms a really thin sheet and doesn't split. Basically I am looking for a very smooth, very supple dough. Its hard to explain. Its a feel thing.

One old baker I learned from put it best - Knead it until the dough feels like your wife's breasts. Then let it rise until it feels like her buttocks. I'm not entirely sure this will work for 100% of wives, especially not those with... enhancements... I never saw his wife so I can't comment on the accuracy in his case.

Cheers
Dave

OK.. finally.. photos of the wholemeal no knead bread (sorry...been slack)

small_IMG_1208.jpg

Looks great but very heavy to eat. I think no more than 30-40% wholemeal is the limit of this method.

My helper was very pleased though

small_IMG_1214.jpg

Cheers
Dave

One old baker I learned from put it best - Knead it until the dough feels like your wife's breasts. Then let it rise until it feels like her buttocks. I'm not entirely sure this will work for 100% of wives, especially not those with... enhancements... I never saw his wife so I can't comment on the accuracy in his case.

Cheers
Dave

I knew I'd been single too long when I used to roll out my pizza doughs and bread rolss before service wistfully thinking about breasts but I do know exactly what you mean.

Back