No Fizz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Can you fix a non carbing brew at all after bottling?

Can you fix a non carbing brew at all after bottling?

Has it carbed at all?

What's the story behind it?
I recently had a bulk-prime fail, but adding a carbon drop to each bottle seems to be fixing it.

BeerFingers.

Assuming you bulk Primed like BeerFingers and fudged it (been there myself)
Leave at least 3 to 4 weeks and if still no carbonation try carb drops or dex and a scoop .. but my guess is that youll have some with carbination after popping the caps and some without so be carefull on the amounts you add

If you added sugar individually then you got me .. im guessing you crashed chilled with gelatin, filtered and bottled when the the wort was still cold in which case itll take longer then 3-4 weeks but i wouldnt think a lot longer unless your storage area is rather cold.. 10-15degrees?

Only thing i can think of if all the above is out (Maybe because you live in a nuclear area and your yeasties are dead) is maybe make a yeast slurry and use an eye dropper? to re introduce the yeast but i wouldnt add sugar at this stage. Infact i wouldnt add the yeast at all but it would be a fun experiment

One more suggestion would be to wait till you are kegging and pour the lot into the keg and drink rather quickly as itll be slightly oxidised after pouring from the bottles into the keg :p

Or just sit em in the back of the cupboard for 6 months and enjoy the surprise is whats probably the best solution

Tom

Hi Rik,

some more information on what process you went through fermenting and bottling would help us to help you out.

cheers,

Crundle

Yes it can be fixed.

I once had next-to-nil carbonation happen to a stout of mine. Put the result down to a poorly mixed dex solution during bulk priming. Fixed all the stubbies by popping the caps, droping a carb drop and recapping.

But caution. IIRC, for the first few bottles I hesitated between dropping in a carb drop and fitting a new cap. The carb drop reacted with the beer, and a foaming volcano was the result. Even worse, I bungled a few under the capper and I had stout spray all over the laundry. :angry: What worked for me was positing a decapped bottle under the capper, and having both a carb drop and a replacement cap at the ready. The idea was to fit the cap within a few seconds of bombing away with the carb drop.

Good Luck.
Stubbie

It must just have been a dud couple of bottles- Wow it tastes very green-may leave it for a while longer...
Thanks guy's

I believe you may need to split the beer atom. Use the formula E=MC2!

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back