No Fermentation After 12 Hours Coopers Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Last night around 9pm I decided in my spare fermenter I would make some Coopers Alcoholic Ginger Beer. Followed directions to the letter using 1 kg raw sugar except I rehydrated the yeast in 200ml water and added before sealing up and putting airlock on and put in 20deg cupboard.

I go to check out 7 am this morning, no activity in the airlock.

Does it take longer for Ginger Beer using Raw Sugar to strart fermenting/producing CO2???

Is it normal to have not all the sugar dissolved, because it says NOT to use boiling water, just hot, and the raw sugar is crystal instead of powder like for beer???

I've got another Coopers yeast and are rehydrating as we speak and will re-pitch some more yeast in 10 minutes or so.

Thanks in advance

finners
Home Brew Virgin

Is there any condensation on the inside of your lid? Is there any krausen (foamy stuff which appears on the top of your wort)? You'll hear this many times on AHB, but you can't rely on the airlock. If there isnt a good seal with the lid, the CO2 will find another way out instead of through the airlock, so go by other signs of fermentation such as the condensation and the krausen

Sponge

Nup
No condensation, no Krausen, nuthin.

Have pitched another batch of yeast and will see

finners

my ginger beer took a while to get going, from memory almost 24 hours, but my memory is liek swiss cheese so i could be confused

your spare fermenter has now become your ginger beer fermenter
you can never get rid of the smell and taste of the ginger and it goes through your beer

you can never get rid of the smell and taste of the ginger and it goes through your beer

Never thought of this, will have to give my fermenter a good ole clean afterwards.
I also might pick a stronger tasting beer to do straight after it.

Still no action, but a little more patient after reading your posts.

Thanks
finners

Take an SG reading and see if its dropped at all, but if its only been a 12 hours dont worry too much

Dw, ive made 3 GB's now, and after a nice overnight soak in napisan (non-scented of course), and a scrub (with a soft cloth of course) theres no ginger beer smell to the fermenter, and hasnt affected any of the other brews

Sponge

Take an SG reading and see if its dropped at all, but if its only been a 12 hours dont worry too much

Haven't taken another SG reading.

Original was 1026

Off to do 12 hour shift at work, so will cross fingers and do another reading once I get home.

finners

Rubish!

thats what the LHBS told me too i recon rubish too, only sales tactics to get you to buy YET another fermentor mate lol.

Back