No Chill What The Hell Happened?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reducing moisture is the key to reducing the number of bugs and mould multiplying in your fridge.

Bicarb can work a treat in a fridge - reduces the smells and the moisture. Vinegar is often good to clean the fridge, but maybe not great to put it in the fridge where you're fermenting your beer. I'm assuming that there's a small possibility of acetobactor contamination.

Otherwise, try putting a bowl of salt in the fridge. Sausage makers do this in curing fridges to reduce the humidity. Otherwise you could try a dessicant pack like this.

As Ross said, make sure you put the cube on the side to pretty much kill off anything with the hot wort that may be living inside the handle if you don't do so already.

The other sides will have had enough contact with the hot wort during the transfer to allow you to put it on its side with a small air pocket in there.

Worst case scenario, turn the cube onto the other side after 10min or so on one side just to make sure all of the inside of the cube has been nicely heat treated

Sponge

My first infection came from the O ring in the lid of the cube. From just looking at it, it looked all nice and clean but then it fell out and underneath it was mold and other nasties.

Wow, this thread is becoming a bit clogged up with good ideas :huh:

Otherwise, try putting a bowl of salt in the fridge. Sausage makers do this in
curing fridges to reduce the humidity. ...
I like this idea and under the tightarse principle, the salt could be heated (in an
oven or covered with cloth and put outside on a hot day) to dry out for reuse.

As Ross said, make sure you put the cube on the side to pretty much kill off
anything with the hot wort that may be living inside the handle ...
Also a good idea for cleaning the cube - I put soda perc and hot water in cube
and fill to just over half for long term soaking, a good part of which with the
cube upside down.

Strange then... i prefer Ross' FWK ones. Best seal of all the cubes i've used. ...
Who knows why it blew up? Just one of those unexplained things i guess.
Don't overtighten the the cube lid/cap too hard as it could pop open slightly
- turn the lid till it wont turn any more without a lot of force, then turn just a
smidge more. When cooled, the cap willl shrink and increase tightness.

And dusting off an old post covering a cube plug removal tool ... I like to switch
between cube plugs and taps as needs arise. Again, be careful of overtightening
taps or plugs in the cube.

Good idea with the salt.

I collect silica gel packets you see shipped with electronics. They swell up preffy quick though

I used the blue willow cube once, it leaked on me straight away. The green shed has 25l cubes for somewhere around $20 which seal nice and tight.

My first infection came from the O ring in the lid of the cube. From just looking at it, it looked all nice and clean but then it fell out and underneath it was mold and other nasties.

Anyone know an easy/clever way to get the O-ring out?

Kitchen knife, outside edge, lever it out. Occasionally puncture if its stubborn. I know someone will come up with something better, so the bar is set! ;)

I used the blue willow cube once, it leaked on me straight away. The green shed has 25l cubes for somewhere around $20 which seal nice and tight.

I use almost exclusively blue willow cubes (20 L jerry) and have had more problems with other types than with those (including blue willow 25 square/cube and some CB and GG leftover FWKs).

You could, of course, go totally retro and "chill", crazy I know as open immersion chilling may be the culprit when it comes to infection, but it is said to have many benefits (well so all the texts I have suggest).
Before you have total confidence in hot wort sanitizing a re-used "cube", measure the temperature of your wort just before sealing for future reference..(results will vary).
K

There are benefits and problems with both Dr K. Don't dismiss a method that, by your own admission, you have never tried (unless between now and the last time I looked you have tried reasonably and seen the method to fail more often than not).

People have had **** ups with chilling AND no chilling. Both can work, both can fail and it's neither the method nor the colour nor the brand of the final vessel that causes it.

You are a man of science. A man of science looks at evidence, not conjecture, hearsay or assumption.

The amount of water that an immersion chiller uses if you don't have a water tank is enough to give a method that many, many people have successfully used some merit, non?

PS. I sanitise my cubes prior to addition of hot wort as I would anything else that goes near it - even my whirlpooling spoon.

Bang it down square and hard on a hard surface, I use the stone bench in the kitchen. A couple of heavy whacks and it pops out.

bah

A guy at our local market sells used cubes, they once held orange juice concentrate.

I use the 25lt ones and they cost me $5.00, he has 20lt as well, all food grade of course.

Batz

This is an old photo, but I just have a bleach mix in a spray bottle.
When i take the fermenter out to keg, I give the fridge a few squirts as a mist and the same during brewday before I put a new batch in.

I don't get mold buildup at all, it stays clean and shiny and it keeps insects out.

This fridge would be about 20+ years old.

d1008cf201a608d20b47d22ff22f17e2_61402_lrg.jpg

nice clean fridge there fingers, i think i will try the same thing on my fridge next brew.
ferg

You could, of course, go totally retro and "chill", crazy I know as open immersion chilling may be the culprit when it comes to infection, but it is said to have many benefits (well so all the texts I have suggest).
Before you have total confidence in hot wort sanitizing a re-used "cube", measure the temperature of your wort just before sealing for future reference..(results will vary).
K

Switching from no-chill to chilling to avoid infections is bad advice.

With the cube swelling, its good practice that when you drain the wort into the cube and seal it, place the cube on its side with the lid on the bottom so there is no air around the lid. Leave it for at least 10 minutes, and provided your cube is sanitised and there's **** all air in it, this should help a lot.

Yeah clean ur fridge bro!

Latest posts

Back