No Chill Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried placing their cube (after hot racking with aroma hops from the kettle) into their swimming pool, half submerged? Surely this can get the temp down quickly to below 70 deg within say 20 mins ?

5 eyes

Has anyone tried placing their cube (after hot racking with aroma hops from the kettle) into their swimming pool, half submerged? Surely this can get the temp down quickly to below 70 deg within say 20 mins ?

5 eyes

Yes it's been done before, best placed near a filter outlet so that the water is moving.

Yes, aka "slow chill", some AHBers have tried it. I myself would be after the pasteurising effects of no chill, but I can see why it would be attractive.

I did some measure on the last few brews and my wort is at/below 80c by the time I've transferred it into the cube.

15 min convection rest after flameout, 88c in the kettle -> 30min whirlpool rest, 80c in kettle -> transfer into cube and it's below that by a few.

Back