No Carbonation In Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber_quench

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently did up a kit brew, the beer has been in the bottles for over two weeks and they are still as flat as a tack. I did up three of the same batch in glass bottles with the whit plastic cork attached to it (not sure what they are called...) and they came out perfect. What could be the problem? I screwed the lids on as tight as possible...

Hey Guys,

I recently did up a kit brew, the beer has been in the bottles for over two weeks and they are still as flat as a tack. I did up three of the same batch in glass bottles with the whit plastic cork attached to it (not sure what they are called...) and they came out perfect. What could be the problem? I screwed the lids on as tight as possible...

how did you prime the beer?

Hey Guys,

What and how much did you use for secondary fermentation?

Hey Guys,

Carb drops. Two each PET.

It's winter. Put them all into a sleeping bag, take it to bed, tell your missus to sleep on the couch and then cuddle it all night long for the next week or two.

Or alternatively just put them somewhere inside the house where it's warmer.

It's winter. Put them all into a sleeping bag, take it to bed, tell your missus to sleep on the couch and then cuddle it all night long for the next week or two.

Or alternatively just put them somewhere inside the house where it's warmer.

Hi,

Either the bottles didn't seal properly or the yeast needs a bit more time.
+1 for puting them in a warmer place and giving another week or so.
It's strange that the ones in glass are OK though?? I've never used PET bottles.

Jake.

Why dont you fill the sink with water place one in lid up and squeeze, see if theyre air tight

" I screwed the lids on as tight as possible.."

That could be your problem.Making them too tight could deform the thread or seal and they leak.
I find that a good firm screw does the job ok.
Makes me happy too.

what size ur glass bottles vs your pet ones?. not sure it would make too much diff but if the glass ones smaller maybe take less time??? not sure just throwing it out there.

Same size, and they were stored in the same place...

PS thanks for all the replys!

Very odd not had trouble with Coopers or Morgans PET bottles.
Only thing I can think of is your carb drops have not dissolved turn them up and back a few times to be sure.

I thought Grolsch bottles were only 500ml

there was a batch of coopers (i think) pet bottles going around about a year or so ago that had pin holes in the bottom. But I think it was ramdom bottles and the liquid leaked out so doesnt seem like the trouble you are getting.

Hmmmm.. Yes very odd. Beer is not even drinkable, just to cordial like. Think I will just get more of the glass bottles.

i use the PET bottles and have ha this issue before in a couple of different batches...i found that i had screwed the lids on way too tight and it cause them to bulge a little and not seal at all, so all the natural CO2 made was just leaking out instead of gassing the beer.

i suggest loosen the lids and only do them up untill they stop turning. dont force tighten them as this problem will occur.

If it the beer still tastes sweet, I'd say the yeast hasn't consume the priming sugar yet. Being cold, you'll need to leave the bottled beer longer or in a warmer spot.
Dunno why the glass worked better... Unless the PET bottles absorb the CO2 pressure a bit before the beer does. Glass wouldn't absorb any pressure, being a hard substance. All the gas would go into the beer.
Anyway, best of luck, and when you can, buy a keg system. :D

Back