No Bittering Addition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrSmurto,

looks ok with those quantities. I did a follow up Summer ale to my original recipe with all late Nelson & upped the quantites (180gms).
It wasn't as good as the more lightly hopped original recipe, so just be a bit careful. The originals balance is hard to beat IMHO.

cheers Ross

Thanks for the replies

Will start off subtle and work my way up. Still learning this craft so am trying to try a few different hops/malts that i hadnt used as a kit brewer to get a feel for whats out there. Being able to tweak every aspect of a recipe is so much fun. I get to be a scientist at home now too!

OT - One of the biggest things tho is trying not to add munich to every recipe. Man i love that stuff......

Cheers
DrSmurto

The Knappstein is 100% pilsner malt.
Personally I find it a bit lacking by the 2nd bottle. A good malt like MO with some wheat, really lifts it.
The melanoidin may do the same trick, but not sure. A local customer here has made my NS recipe a few times using a lager yeast & it's a beautiful drop. I'm tempted to do the same next time.

cheers Ross

Funnily enough, water chemistry is sort of what i do.....

Analysing my rainwater this week ;)

Already analysed Adelaide tap water so will be able to compare by the end of the week. Surprisingly, Adelaide tap water isnt as hard as i was led to believe.

So when you say "adelaide water" you mean your water at Mt Torrens?
What did you discover?

No. Tap water in Adelaide. I am testing my rainwater in Mt Torrens. Will test the tap water in Mt Torrens shortly. Will post results asap in a new thread.

No. Tap water in Adelaide. I am testing my rainwater in Mt Torrens. Will test the tap water in Mt Torrens shortly. Will post results asap in a new thread.

Oh! Then not the same as mine. :( :)

Couldn't be bothered reading through the thread to see if its been mentioned, but Jamil did a write up on it here, where he calls it the secret to big flavour and aroma.

Re hopbursting, I thought that was just mixing all your hops together and throwing in a handful every 5 mins through the whole boil or whatever? As in, not particularly excluding any long boil additions...

Latest posts

Back