Nitto (air hose) fittings for co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been setting up my keg system in my fridge, and now i am up to finishing up the gas side.

So far i have 1 nitto connection going into the fridge, and it passes the bucket of water test.

What i was thinking of doing is setting up a manifold with 4 nitto sockets, then have the nitto (male) connected to a check valve, followed by the ball lock disconnect.. with a bit of hose...
This should give me a gas setup with sealing on both sides of the connection for easy swapping and rearranging.

Does anyone use these?
How do they hold the low pressure?

Thanks.

Be careful of the manifolds with the red valve handles,on mine all the valve bodies leaked.
As for fittings i just used push on pneumatic fittings, about $4 from Blackwoods, stainless steal and dont leak.

Them fittings seal great, got plenty of them in our workshop, the only ones that start to leak at ones that cop a hammering from being kicked around the concrete floor or have big air tools hanging off them.

It is my intention also to do the same thing when I set my bar back up and get into kegging again. I have the manifold and fittings already. The male fittings don't hold pressure though, so u have to remember to put female ends on when you want to hold air pressure in that circuit always. But as you explained your setup plan, it'll hold the pressure. Only thing is you need to step down to standard beer hose ID, as standard air fittings are 1/2 inch.

I planned on only having male ends on the keg side and inline check valves for keg to keg or keg to reg beer transfer, and that's it. Unless your force carbing one up you shouldn't need to worry about getting to fancy with other gauges and other manifolds for different pressures.

Yeah, just 1 manifold for the moment.

my plan:
CO2 bottle
Reg
nitto qd female
qd male
hose
qd female
qd male
fridge wall
hose
manifold
qd female
qd male
check valve
hose
ball lock qd
keg

i have the qd on the reg so i can easily purge a keg for filling without stuffing around in the fridge
its also a pain to run the gas line where it needs to go between reg and fridge.. hence the qd either side.

The big disadvantage with Nitto fittings is the line size, they are usually made for 10mm or 12mm large bore lines. Whereas the ubiquitous JG QDs will use 5mmID lines for less line wastage.

the fitting it got from Masters (not genuine) was available with a 1/4" barb (~6mm)
worst case, get a threaded fitting with a barb.

they are so much cheaper than the snaplok or ball lock fittings. not to mention easier to get a hold of.

ignore me just realised you're only using them on the gas side

Personally I would only use Nitto's for my air tools as they can easily leak especially the cheap ones, and a gas refill is too costly for any leaks.

You must be buying cheap ones. I run them at work and my reciever doesnt drop any pressure even over out 2 week shutdown at christmas. I've changed to all Nittos from Jamec. The Jamec are too fiddly, jam up, dont flow as well and I often had leaks at the actual fitting.
FWIW all our portable plasma machines are recommended to use nitto fittings​ though I'm guessing thats cause they flow the best out of any readily available disconnects

I would be hesitant about using them. They are designed for minimal leakage but remember compressed air is much cheaper to loose than CO2 so their design is more about ease of connection/ disconnection than 100% leakproof. A cylinder of lost CO2 hurts and would quickly negate any cost benefits of using those fittings.

There's a correct tool for every job & Nitto fitting's in a beer setup are not the right way to go.
A gas manifold with JG fittings are perfect for the job & the correct tools to use.
It's your gas, your money but no way would I run air tool fitting in a pressurized Co2 set up.

I buy the expensive nitto air fittings for my workshop. The ones that hold the outside ring back so you can connect with one hand. I don't mind hearing the compressor start even if I'm not using air. Just a bit of a leak.
But if I had to fill one of my CO2 cylinders. I'd be pissed off. I use ball lock connections for my CO2. On kegs and to the fridge. Keep it all the same.

I used them for years when I was building houses and they always leaked but they also had a hard life. I wouldn't use them purely for the fact that I'd have flashbacks everytime I looked at them. Brewing is fun, work isn't.
Cheers,

takai said:
The big disadvantage with Nitto fittings is the line size, they are usually made for 10mm or 12mm large bore lines. Whereas the ubiquitous JG QDs will use 5mmID lines for less line wastage.
Nitto also make fittings to suit 5mm id hose. 2 types one for oxy or inert gases and one for fuel gas (can't mix them).
As their for combustibles the quality is high and don't leak

Back