Newbie - looking for a good kit to start out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indica86 said:
That is a very odd generalisation to make.
I have no need to mask anything bad with my beers. They taste perfectly fine and I brew many varieties.
Agreed. If there were a heap of things I didn't like in my beers I'd either quit brewing or try to find the cause of these unwanted influences in order to get rid of them, not simply mask them with something. Decent ingredients, appropriate ferment temps with adequate yeast and proper cleaning/sanitation shouldn't see any bad things in need of masking in the first place.

That said it is probably harder to make a good lager than any other style because even the slightest flaw in any part of the process is magnified.

For the OP if you want to make a Carlton draught or super dry style of beer a good yeast to try is S-189, Swiss lager. It can be fermented at around 18C and still produce a good lager beer and is much simpler than using a traditional lager yeast, especially if you don't have temperature control.

Most people get into brewing to make beer they enjoy drinking, is there another reason? Find a good local home brew shop and the staff there will be able to help you use kits to make beers that closely resemble what you want. Have a read on here and it will fill in some gaps. Brewing is something you can take as far as you want but almost everyone starts exactly where you are and their journey is their own!

Rocker1986 said:
Rubbish. You can make hop additions to kits without making them overly bitter. Just because it's a hop addition doesn't mean it has to be boiled for an hour or whatever and give a shitload of bitterness. 20-30g boiled for 5 minutes in some of the unhopped extract and water will give a bit more hop flavour. Making a hop tea by steeping hops in just boiled water off the heat for 20 mins or so will provide some flavour and aroma. Lastly you can throw hops into the fermenter as a dry hop to get more hop aroma. Not saying the OP needs to get into this straight away, but adding hops to kits doesn't make them overly bitter if done properly and in line with the style and it does improve the basic kits.

If the tin label has an actual beer style on it e.g. Traditional Draught, Old Dark Ale or something, then it's a pre-hopped kit. If it simply says malt extract then it isn't. Also, the kits are usually 1.7kg, the un-hopped extract tins usually 1.5kg, so that's another point of difference.
I think Beer God knows what he's talking about. Alternatively, try out the new Coopers brew cans like the Family Secret Amber Ale with a kilo of light dry malt and the kit yeast (I'm brewing it now). Follow the recipe without adding any extra hops or whatever first, and if you want to tinker with it later, well and good. I can't wait to taste this new kit brew.

I got into Homebrewing to brew Carlsberg knock offs.
Haven't left the UK beers yet (4 years). I have just branched out and had a go at a proper APA (first with all american hops). Both curious and afraid to taste it, been in keg fridge for about 6 weeks now. What if i like it?

Lol I really should have a go at a Carlsberg one day, but I am really liking the ales. Like they say if it aint broke.....

Cheers,
D80

I've attempted a hahns dry 12 months ago. Using dry emzines and it was tasteless soda water but it kicked like a mule about 7.5 alcohol

shacked said:
Check out plamer's book: How to Brew. It'll put you on the right path when it comes to process, sanitation etc. there is a free online version at www.howtobrew.com
Typo there - it's John Palmer's "How To Brew". +1 look it up online, or buy the book - valuable information!

Diesel80 said:
I have just branched out and had a go at a proper APA (first with all american hops). Both curious and afraid to taste it, been in keg fridge for about 6 weeks now. What if i like it?
That would be a shame. Finding a style you brew and enjoy. Hope you do like it.

pablo_h said:
I think the mega lager brews are the hardest....
...but trying to make light commercial lagers?
Your going to need pretty pricey temp control, yeast control and filtering.
Temp control doesn't have to be pricey. Granted, my fermenting fridge was already here and all I needed to buy was an STC-1000, but fridges can still be picked up for free or relatively cheaply. Yeast needs attention of course. Filtering is unnecessary as well. I can make perfectly clear beers by the use of isinglass and Polyclar during the cold crashing phase. Two weeks sitting in the keg and they're as clear as any commercially brewed beer.

Back