Newbie from Coffs Harbour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update, first ever beer is finally in the fermenter! Lots of learnings along the way, mainly my tap water being nowhere near cold enough to bring temp of the wort down to pitch yeast. Had the fermenter sitting in the laundry tub full of water as cold as it would come out of the tap and every frozen thing from the freezer sitting in it too. In the end I got sick of waiting and just put it in the fridge to cool down, went to Mother's Milk for a couple of beers(Young Henry's hop ale is really good btw!) and 4 or 5 hours later it was cool enough to pitch the yeast. Lesson learnt: next time get colder water and an ice bath waiting!
Only concern is the butterscotchy flavour of the SG reading just before I added the yeast, hopefully the yeast will do its thing and remove that?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Hope you have your passport up to date when you come down for the Grafton Show
Hmm that means I'll have to stay in the Motel.

Scotty, well done.. Yup, temperature control is the thing. Won't be too long you'll be in pretty good brewing weather in Coffs.

Hey guys, first brew went down as I hoped, will bottle in another week.
Already planning my next one, I'd like to do a Sierra Nevada type of beer. Recipe I found calls for Magnum hops and 3.17kg of briess LDME. Country Brewer doesn't seem to stock Magnum and I'm not sure what brand their LDME is? Is mail order the only way I can get these ingredients into Coffs? Also looking for a couple of muslin socks for hops and grains, Country Brewer sell them for $9 each but can I find them cheaper somewhere else? Cheers

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
Hey guys, first brew went down as I hoped, will bottle in another week.
Already planning my next one, I'd like to do a Sierra Nevada type of beer. Recipe I found calls for Magnum hops and 3.17kg of briess LDME. Country Brewer doesn't seem to stock Magnum and I'm not sure what brand their LDME is? Pretty much all LDME is the same at the end of the day Is mail order the only way I can get these ingredients into Coffs? Most likely. There are plenty of on-line shops to choose from Also looking for a couple of muslin socks for hops and grains, Steal your wife/girlfriends stockings. They work just as well Country Brewer sell them for $9 each but can I find them cheaper somewhere else? Cheers

Bribie G said:
Hmm that means I'll have to stay in the Motel.
There is a great Motel in Hoof St, just perfect for guests like you. Its one of those fancy gated setups with security for your own safety.

Latest posts

Back