New Zealand Cascade Hops. What Are They Like?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Hello

New Zealand Cascade hops. What are they like? How do they compare to the U.S. version?

Seeing as though I can get them in pellet, flower or organic form, thought I might give them a crack in Tony's LCBA clone.

Cheers

Jim

Not as good as the US version in my view. If you want a US Cascade substitute, I don't think they are a good bet. I've used them a few times and they seem to be a lot more subtle in aroma than the US version. I found they are also have a bit more of the lemon and piney characters going on compared to the US stuff.

Have used the whole flowers a few times lately. IMO (and this is rather subjective), I found the flavour be more intense than the US pellets, particularly, as TD said, the piney character. as a result, slightly harsher, particularly when the beer is young. Although having said that, I'm talking comparatively....I wouldn't have said they were harsh, per se. Note that they were used in late addition only....
I would use them again.

I've used them twice and found they had a rather cat-pissy geranium bush type of character. It did mellow over time but personally I think they're no replacement for the US version.

Warren -

I've used them twice and found they had a rather cat-pissy geranium bush type of character. It did mellow over time but personally I think they're no replacement for the US version.

Warren -
:icon_vomit:

Does not give me confidence for my home grown version then!!!! Course, every environment they are going to be grown in will change the profile, but, blech, cat-pissy geranium bush characters would certainly be off putting!

Anything tastes good through a Randall!! :icon_drool2:

the boys at the SA case swap enjoyed them but they were used in the

:lol: Obviously a Kiwi narrator too... "chunky as". Needed to add "bro" on the end.

Warren -

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be nice to see less of these ex-pat varieties and more local varieties. Like how they call Belgian Saaz hops Motueka now. Brilliant hop, but not Saaz. NZ has some great hops. Would be nice if they weren't compared to varieties grown elsewhere.

Would be nice to see less of these ex-pat varieties and more local varieties. Like how they call Belgian Saaz hops Motueka now. Brilliant hop, but not Saaz. NZ has some great hops. Would be nice if they weren't compared to varieties grown elsewhere.

Yes, I'm a BSaaz fan for flavour and aroma but find that even used for 20 mins they do much more than flavour and add a crisp bitter finish that I really like. But no way Euro-Saaz.
For one thing, the Saaz used in Czech Pilseners and North Euro Lagers go through freezing spring and often autumn weather of sub freezing, and summer weather of 30 - 40 degrees which is typical Central European climate, I doubt if it gets that extreme in the North Island hop growing areas. B)

Back