New Toucan Idea !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreemanDC

Reaction score
Hello Chaps.

got a couple of cans of goo laying around, was thinking of doing one of these wonderfull toucan's.

I've got 1.7kgs coopers stout and a cascade chocolate porter .... Good mix ?
maybe some dry fuggels in there ?

any ideas would be appreciated.

Haven't tried the Cascade but the Coopers is quite bitter so I wouldn't personally put more hops in, being a toucan. Actually toucans though big on flavour aren't excessively strong in alcohol so why not put in a kilo of LMDE as well and mature it for Christmas? And some dex? :eek: :ph34r:

Im never doing a two can again.
Flavour was ok, but waaaay too much harsh bitterness and not a lot of aroma

From now on, its can, unhopped malt, and measured hop additions for me.

What time span are we talking about? Were you drinking them at 2 weeks? I have a 2C that I have just bottled and all the advice I've had suggests that the bitterness fades and flavours come through after at least 3 months.

These will be cricket brews, so not touching them before December.

EDIT: The cascade is bland bland bland. Nice body and colour but bland.

I'm finding the Coopers stout a bit too bitter these days.
But give it a go by all means. The stout/dark mix is good, and I reckon this won't be too far off. You probably won't need the fuggles. But maybe just a bit in for aroma/flavour.

What time span are we talking about? Were you drinking them at 2 weeks? I have a 2C that I have just bottled and all the advice I've had suggests that the bitterness fades and flavours come through after at least 3 months.
These will be cricket brews, so not touching them before December.
EDIT: The cascade is bland bland bland. Nice body and colour but bland.
HA! No.. I dont think any of my beers will ever last three months.
Hmm.. maybe 2 months from initial ferment.. Im happy to take your advice tho.. Im not so keen on these ones... will shove them to the back for later.

On 19 August I assembled a Christmas toucan from

2 Coopers Stout
1kg LDME
0.75 kg Dex

Nottingham yeast

Dry hopped with some Fuggles Pellets on 25/8

Should turn out over 7% - had a couple of sips on bottling :blink: :blink:

Roll on December :beer:

Well over 7% with that much fermentable material!

Notty yeast rules, should chew through all of that sugar no probs.

I'd guess closer to 9%

:beerbang:

Youve got me worried beef.Timely post.
Made up a sort of mini toucan as a tester/experiment. One can of Coopers Sparkling Ale only filled to total 12 litres. Ready to rack now.The bitterness may be to harsh as you say. I can taste it at samples although there is plenty aroma there.
Anyone suggest solution or options? Dry hop? or just run with it? :icon_cheers:
Daz

On the coopers website they have IBU and EBC values for all there homebrew range.

If your worried about the bitterness, do some precalculations, if its too high then just use 1 can of goo and make up the other can with some liquid extract (unhopped), then you can use late addition hops for extra aroma without affecting bitterness too much. :icon_cheers:

Dont know if this counts as a toucan though :unsure:

Have a saison yeast chewing through 2 cans of coopers pale ale (about 25IBU's each in 24L), 1 can of liquid extra pale malt extract (unhopped) and 500gms LDME. Then today I have added another 1kg of sugar. Aiming for around 10.5% :party: with some serious body, but not too much bitterness thankfully after getting advice on this site :rolleyes:

Good luck with it if you decide to go ahead though as I have also read that over time that extra bitterness dulls and allows a smoother flavour profile through.

Back