New To Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benbrewer

Reaction score
Gday All.

Name's Ben. I have been brewing since 96, however just brought my first keg system. Had a look at the Ross method post and it makes the printed instructions I've got much clearer.

I have a few basic questions. If there is a good beginners guide to kegging post and someone can link me to it I would appreciate it.

Have a mate who has kegs but only did it a few times and lost interest I guess. His beer always tasted green. Having bottled for years, being able to drink the brew after a few days is new to me. Will the beer improve in the keg when cold? Bottled beer doesn't get better once refrigerated.

Also can I ferment a batch and keep it in a keg unrefrigerated? Will it age more? If so, do I have to gas the keg first? I only have one keg, but will be picking up another in a few days. I only have room for one keg in my frigde at a time and would like to have one ready to go when the other empties.

I don't normally add finings when bottling. Is it best to go with finings for a keg? I was intending that once the brew has cleared, transfering to the keg carefully should limit the amount of sediment to whats suspended in the brew.

I have mainly done kits but am interested in getting into more adventurous brews. I like clear lager style beers and pilsners. Would would you guys suggest to start with for they keg. I'm after something fairly basic so it will turn out. I don't want a disaster which may turn me off progressing with my brewing.

Thanks for putting up with a newbie kegger!

Welcome to the forum Ben.

Plenty of great info using the search tool down the bottom of the page, etc.

Check out keg related articles here...
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

Can I ferment a batch and keep it in a keg unrefrigerated? Yes - but purge the keg of oxygen with a shot of CO2.

I don't normally add finings when bottling. Is it best to go with finings for a keg? I dont bother but I am sure others do. Your choice really, I dont mind a cloudy beer personally.

Would would you guys suggest to start with for they keg. I would maybe move into a kits and bits, check out your LHBS, or have a look in the recipe database above.

Edit: Within a month of reading info on this website, you shall be making the move to All Grain no doubt!

If you are keen on Lagers, you may need a fermenting fridge to keep fermenting temps down around 10 - 12 degrees.

Happy Brewing!

Back