New to home brew, longford, Vic.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leary360

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Cam.
I started brewing when I was a kid (ginger beer, only 1 batch) and thought it would be a good idea to let my children now have a go as I did. After speaking to the local home brew shop and realising how easy and that I'd have to buy minimal extras to brew my own beer, I thought I'd have a go at this aswell.
So far I've got my first batch of beer bottled and standing, lemonade for the kids bottled, done half batch for kids and the other half in the fermenter for the mrs as hard lemonade.
So far I've only used packet mixes ( tooheys special larger, colony west lemonade), however looking to have a bit more of a go with some traditional recipes as I go.
Already having my first issues with lemonade, will post in appropriate section.
Looking forward to replies,
Cam & family

Welcome aboard mate. Heaps of knowledgeable brewers on board here if you've got questions.

Awesome name too.

Thanks all for the welcome.
Can I ask if someone can post a link to any threads that contain the most info on brewing for a beginner.
There seems to be so much info on here however with all the abbreviations, grains, hops, wort and boil this, boil that, it is all a little daunting to the beginner.
I'm still finding it a little difficult to understand the difference between a beer in a can recipe and a traditional recipe.
Do most people use beer in a can and then make additions?

Check the forum index and wiki articles section for a heap of relevant info but make sure you read through John Palmer's site.

Leary360 said:
Do most people use beer in a can and then make additions?
Most people start out making beer from simple kits (cans), progressing to kits with added malt extract (brewing sugar) some specialty grain and extra hops all to add some extra depth and flavour.

Some are happy to stay with kits for keeps, others progress to making extract beer (using malt extract, specialty grain and hops) without a can for the basis of the flavour.

The ultimate progression (obsession) is to make beer from malted grains (barley mainly), mashing, boiling and adding hops for bitterness and flavour. You need a bit of kit for that and the sky is the limit really. I've been making all grain brews for about 6 years now and am still adding bits of bobs to my brewery.

I'd suggest making a couple of simple kits to get the hang of it, then think about adding some extra ingredients when you're a bit more confident with the process.

Welcome aboard, its a very slippery slope and before you know it you'll be starting to see all manner of stuff as suitable for brewing with.

JD

Adding to above, you will also not be able to go past any sort of op shop without going in looking for stuff you can adapt for brewing..

How old are the tin lids?

Latest posts

Back