New To Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair call. I think the longest I had one was about 2 months... Might've just been me, but it didn't taste all that different to the ones I was drinking after 2-4 weeks. Beers on the other hand, I dont really touch until about 6 weeks after bottling. I'll hold on to a few of these (cham-pag-n yeast and coopers yeast) and see. They're just so easy to keep throwing down. Its like drinking lollywater... that burns your throat... and depending on how many you have, the other end too :p Seriously though, not that bad...

Tyler

Anywho, I have done this exact recipe now 4 times. Killer... and my mates who actually like GB's reckon its the shiz. You can also try chappos GB from scratch as mentioned above for something a little more challenging.

1 x Coopers Ginger Beer Kit
1.5kg of Dextrose (or a box of brewing sugar and about 500g extra dex)
500g LDME
1 x 750ml Bottle of Buderim Ginger Refresher (basically ginger/sugar concentrate)
350g of coarsely grated fresh ginger
5 small chillis (birds eye type) finely chopped inc seeds (i like it with a bit of spice)
Kit yeast and brewed for 2 weeks (primary only) @ 18 deg c. I also crash chill for a couple of days so I am not drinking all of the yeasties too. Add the chillis and ginger into 5 litres of boiling water and boil for 30 mins. Pour all fermentables into pot, boil a little longer then up end into a cleaned and sanitised fermenter, top up to 23 lt. Piece of piss

I ditched the idea of lemons and zest and now use this method everytime as it is easy and very repeatable.

Just for shits and giggles, the last batch I did was a double and 1 fermenter used coopers packet yeast and the other used champagne yeast (ec-118 i think). Very little difference in taste IMO

I may try a from scratch GB one day, but I'd rather invest my time in AG beer instead

Hope this helps all

Tyler

What OG/FG does this recipe produce?

Back