New To Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rolleyes: Sorry mate, as you can tell, I get a bit lost with what I'm posting and to whom sometimes, and I deal with a few different calculators :lol:

With the priming calculator, its the amount of beer that is available to bottle once off the trub....so what I do is, I have all my cubes that I will rack to marked with a scale. (hours of fun when buying new cubes, filling them 1 litre at a time and marking off the results ;) )

There are then 2 ways you can do a good accurate prime.

the first is to rack, then add the dex disolved in 1/2-1 cup boiling water. Stirring can be more awkward, but you always get a good true measure. The second is to add the dex disolved in 1/2-1 cup into the bottom of the cube, and then rack onto it. I never do the second way on the odd occasions that I go straight from primary, cos its too hard to judge the losses, and if you put enough priming sugar in for 22L and only end up with 20L, you cant take the sugar out again....but if your going from secondary to prime, its not so bad, as the loss is usually pretty damn small anyway, and can be either discounted or judged pretty accurately.

Now accuracy in the prime isn't necessarily that crucial. It becomes more problematic at the high and low end, ie if aiming for 2vol, if you underprime, it will be flat, and if aiming for 2.9vol, if you overprime, you could get bombs (particularly in glass). If youre aiming for somewhere in the middle, say 2.5vol, you have leeway either way. As long as you're not ridiculously off, slightly under will still have fizz, slightly over won't explode. It's best to aim as close as you can to what you want, though. The only thing worse than a flat APA is an aggressively carbonated Best Bitter. :lol: You'll probably be looking at a likely 2.5 to 2.7 vol for your recipe

Cheers butters. I think I'm going with 170g of dex at this stage.

Also, just had a thought regarding reducing any possible hop sediment in the finished product..

Could I use a sanitised stocking tied over the end of the sanitised tube, held on with an equally sanitised rubber band while transferring from the primary fermenter to the fermenter I'll bottle from? Should catch any undesirable chunks should it not?

you could, but there shouldn't be much (if any) coming through anyway, it normally settles out and sinks in the fermenter. If you just clear the tap and discard, then rack out, paying attention as it gets to the bottom so you don't pick up the crap off the bottom, there should be bugger all coming through anyway.

If you do feel the need, if you stretch it over the tap itself, and then push the tube over it, so that its on the one your racking from instead of at the bottom of the hose inside the one your racking to. If you do have a lot of floaties, and it causes a blockage, then it will be easier to clear at the top end than at the bottom.

Good thinking butters.

On a side note, I can't believe the attenuation of this US-05 yeast compared to kit yeasts I'd been using up until now! Looks like FG will be 1.009 (down from 1.052). Bulk priming and bottling on the weekend.

Doing mainly English, and have never used us05 myself, but I hear its the ducks nuts. I'm actually boiling an APA (shock horror) as we speak, and am going to pitch us05 into that. ;)

An AG. 3.5k trad ale, 0.8 munich 2, 0.25kg caraaroma. og 1042, amarillo throughout to 30ibu. Us05, then further dry hop with more amarillo (if I can nick some off Muckey, cos I misweighed what I had, and only had enough for the boil :lol: )

It all sounds great.

I went with QIK86s receipe out of the blue -

Coopers Pale Ale Can
500g Light Dry Malt
250g Dextrose
250g Corn Syrup
Cascade Hops Teabag (Will just sit in boiled water for 10mins then throw the lot into the brew just before adding the yeast, as per instructions)

My LHB shop said that should be fine. OG seems a little high at 1048.

Hopeing it turns out ok. I just bottled my Coopers lager this morning. Cant wait til its ready.

Under,
1048 is high, its probably a case of the adjuncts not being fully disolved or the tap having undisolved adjunct in it when you drew your sample. This should be 1039 in 23L, but I wouldnt worry about it, it'll still ferment out. keep the temp 18-20 and it should be good.

It looked pretty clear in the tube. And I couldnt see any undissolved bits in the fermenter.

Maybe it could be the Hydrometer. Probably stuffed. Actually I think it is because its reading H20 at above 1000.

Yeah im trying to keep it around the 20 mark. The room that the fermenter in sits around 20 day/night.

All is good. We can only wait and see how it goes.

You have a firm grip of his hand.. I reckon he/we will cross the road by 15!!

God damn, I go AG tomorrow!! BIAB of course :p

Hopefully he sends PM's of appreciation to those who help!! ;)

hehehe

PMs not required, as thanks enough are given in the thread...not everyone has stalker tendancies. ;)

Good to hear you're going the grain, mate. :beerbang: Good luck for tommorrow.

Good to hear you're going the grain, mate. :beerbang: Good luck for tommorrow.

Cheers mate..... full review to come!!

F*ck AG better be better than anything else... or I will wearing pocket lint for shoes and SWMBO will be on the porch with a double barrel

She doesn't understand....... Butters, trevc, adamt, TB, PP, FNQ, fents and many more... and all of you MADE ME DO it!!!!

Anyway, how do you talk up a keg setup??? ;)

I haven't actually tried a bottle of that one yet. I'm hoping it will be a nice drop. For both our sakes now.. haha

I can't remember what my OG was for it off the top of my head. I'll check my notes when I get home and let you know.

How longs this one been in the bottle now, qik? 2,3 weeks?

Just over 2 weeks if my memory serves me correctly. I need to start bringing my brew log xls into work on a CD so I can answer these things! haha

The CPA I did with 500g Dex, 250g LDM, 250g Corn Syrun is drinking nicely now after a month, so I'll probably leave the hopped version a little longer yet before I try it. Especially since carbonation has been on the light side.

What should my FG be. Being that the OG was high at 1048.

Day 4. No airlock activity. Sg is about 1012 at present.

Latest posts

Back