New recipe please critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7

Reaction score
Hi all,

Going to put down a brew tomorrow and wanted some input. I am very experimental with my brews and tend to wing it as that's what I personally enjoy about brewing. I thought it would be good to get some advice however for my brew tomorrow. Recipe is as follows.

2kg LDME
1kg wheat spray malt
WY1056
60g cascade
60g centennial
60g citra
Maybe some dextrose?

Hop schedule
30mins 20g centennial
5 mins 20g centennial, 20g citra
Flameout 20g centennial, 20g citra, 10g cascade

Dry hop 20g citra, 50g cascade.

I love hoppy beers, the past few that I have made I have found a bit more bitter than I would have liked and lacked flavour and aroma so I am going with more later additions and dry hopping. Please be brutally honest, if you think this will be rubbish please don't be afraid to say so. I appreciate the assistance.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris

How many litres is the hop boil?

There should be plenty of aroma and flavour from this but even if you are doing a full boil of 20+ litres, the bitterness will be pretty low in my calculations.

A 5 litre boil only yields about 16IBU with these hop additions. (20 litres yields around 22IBU)

all good we were both thinking along the same lines anyhow

Hi Chris,

A good rule that I have used for making with great results is 1/3 bitterness (IBU) from a 60m addition and then load it up with the 2/3's from late additions and dry hop, this will make a hoppy beer.

Mind you, I recently made an all late addition Pale Ale with Centennial & Amarillo at 15,10 & 5min additions to 35ibu and it was sensational, dry hopped with 28g Citra for 7days. :icon_drool2:

With those hops mentioned would consider 1/3 total IBU with centennial for bittering. A 10m addition with cascade & centennial combo and dry hop with citra, keep it simple.

If its a 20lt batch and a target of 35ibu

Centennial - 14g @ 60m
Cent/Casc - 42g each @ 10m

Dry Hop - 28g Citra

Chromakey said:
Hi Chris

How many litres is the hop boil?

There should be plenty of aroma and flavour from this but even if you are doing a full boil of 20+ litres, the bitterness will be pretty low in my calculations.

A 5 litre boil only yields about 16IBU with these hop additions. (20 litres yields around 22IBU)
Howdy, the boil will probably be a max of 10 litres, yeh I wasn't sure if I may have gone too soft on that. When I get home I plan on using the spreadsheet to get the final calculations but wanted some guidance as well. Cheers for your input!

Pratty1 said:
Hi Chris,

A good rule that I have used for making with great results is 1/3 bitterness (IBU) from a 60m addition and then load it up with the 2/3's from late additions and dry hop, this will make a hoppy beer.

Mind you, I recently made an all late addition Pale Ale with Centennial & Amarillo at 15,10 & 5min additions to 35ibu and it was sensational, dry hopped with 28g Citra for 7days. :icon_drool2:

With those hops mentioned would consider 1/3 total IBU with centennial for bittering. A 10m addition with cascade & centennial combo and dry hop with citra, keep it simple.

If its a 20lt batch and a target of 35ibu

Centennial - 14g @ 60m
Cent/Casc - 42g each @ 10m

Dry Hop - 28g Citra
I may very well go with this one and see how it turns out. I forgot to say the batch will be 23L.

As far as hop combos are concerned, will these three work well? I seem to read that mixing the "C" hops seems to work well generally.

Hi Chris

The hops will work a treat together and what Pratty1 said should work out well for you.

Let us know how this one goes.

Will definitely post updates on this one. As far as yeast and malts are concerned any input? I think my last batch I used the 1056, and on the one before that I used US05 but found it didn't flocculate very well. And most of the brews I do now I only use dry extract purely because I have had better results.

Yeah I think the changes to hop schedule are good, although I like large flameout additions more than dry hopping. I was going to say that you should switch that large amount of cascade out, tbh I like citra and centennial much more but some cascade at the 15-30 min mark with those would be nice.

Citra is great to dry hop with. As for malt I personally would use less wheat for my tastes but 1/3 might be similar to a dsga. Any reason you aren't using any crystal malts? I think you'd gain a fair bit by steeping 250g med or dark crystal and using that in your boil.

No real reason that I'm not steeping any grain, will see what's available at the shop today. I'm a fan of wheat when it's tied in with normal malt and I also am a huge fan of the head retention it gives. Love that lacing haha not a huge fan of pure wheat beers though

Quick update, changed the recipe slightly, dropped 500g of wheat and added another 500g of LDME, steeped 200g of crystal medium I think? And they didn't have WY1056 so I had to go with a Mangrove Jacks West Coast dry yeast which seems to get mixed opinions. So fingers crossed it still turns out alright. Just waiting for the wort to cool down a few more degrees before pitching the starter.

Another update, racked the beer today after after it had been cold conditioning for about 5 days.
I was very pleased with how the yeast performed despite some of the negative comments I read about it. It tasted delicious out of the fermenter so I will leave it carb for a few weeks and see how she goes! If it remains the way it tasted today I will be absolutely stoked.

Back