New Pot & Burner & Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerBoy

Reaction score
Gave the new 70L pot and burner a run yesterday, up and till now I have been doing split boils which makes quite a long brew day :(

Took me the best part of 60 min to get the Turkey burner to stay alight :angry: in the end it was adjusting the air flow plate to nearly closed that stopped the flame from continously blowing out then when it warmed up I could gradually increase the gas flow and open the plate.

I have been undecided what to use for a chiller because of the amount of water they use.

I bought 9m of 10mm (3/8) copper tube and bent it to fit a 60L plastic stackable storage box. I put a grommet in the the bottom to fit the tube through filled it with water and heaps of ice.

With a small piece of racking hose on the end of the copper I pushed the temp probe into it and stirred the water and ice around as the wort came through.

The temp fluctuated between 12C & 25C with the final collected temp being !8C :)

very happy :beer:

cheers

Boiler Boy.

Were you using your burner outside on a windy day? I've found the NASA burners are no problem at all if they're shielded. I would have thought that closing the butterfly plate would be a detriment?

If you plan to use it outside fashion yourself a windshield out of tinplate.

Warren -

G'day warrenlw63,

Yes it was windy, so I didn't even bother attempting to try it outside I did it just inside our shed door where it was well shielded.

I tried it first with the plate completely open, but as soon as there was a slight increase in gas flow it would blow out.
so I played around with different settings and having it nearly closed was the only thing that worked until it seemed to warm up and then it was ok. I also ended up controling the flame through the regulator and that seemed to work better.

I had the same problems firing it up the first time outside to burn the paint off and that was on a totally still day.

mongo on another thread got the same burner a day after me and was having similar problems.

BB

Latest posts

Back