New Keg System Carbonation Problems (foam!)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a new keg setup and not really sure about carbonation, what i did was set the pressure to 300kpa and with the gas inlet facing the bottom, moved the keg from side to side allowing gas to bubble through the beer for about 1min maybe bit over, i left for about 15min then released the gas from the headspace and attempted a pour and was all head, there is co2 gaps and bubbles in the beer line and im not too sure what to do.

Im using a Celli tap and have tried to adjust the flow but makes no difference.

Help !

The Ross Method

After filling the keg (upto the weld mark just below the top) with cold beer turn pressure upto 300 kpa & rock keg back & forth on its side (inlet at bottom) for 50 seconds. Turn off gas (on main bottle) but continue to rock keg while monitoring the pressure dial. You will see the pressure full back quite quickly & then stabilise (100 - 200kpa). The goal is for the pressure to fall back to between 140 - 160 kpa depending on your preference (140 pommie ale - 160 Aussie beer). If the pressure falls well below 140 kpa, just turn gas back on & rock for another 10 - 15 secs, then recheck & repeat as necessary. I find that 60 secs is nearly always about the mark. Then all you have to do is release the top pressure valve on the keg (normally a couple of hours later to avoid foam flying out of the valve), connect to your gas (making sure you have set pressure back to 80 kpa or whatever you like to dispense at) & you will pour a perfect beer.

P.S. If you use this method to carbonate a keg that's not full, then reduce your rocking time accordingly, otherwise you'll over carbonate even at 50 secs...

would time fix this... eg a few hours.. i have the pour set at about 30kpa btw

well this is the method i used... it seemed a little flat at first, so i recarbed again (maybe its too well carbed) and now all i get it head and flat beer :(

maybe i should have put my coopers kit beer and not my partial as i reckon by the time i work out the pour/carbonation, the keg will be empty :'(

would time fix this... eg a few hours.. i have the pour set at about 30kpa btw
Time may fix it...

If this is your first time force carbonating then you might be in for a bit of a ride - you can easily over-carbonate and then you have to start getting the gas out... Let it rest a while and see how it goes.

There are quite a few threads on carbonating - do a search and you might find some FAQ's.

there is lots of info about balancing systems, for me 2 degree's and 2 mtrs of beer line and 80 Kpa, this will carbonate to my level and pour at the appropriate rate.

What I do is (N.B beer is room temp not chilled, if chilled I leave gas on for 24 hours not 36)
1) keg beer
2) add gas, burp etc..
3) put keg in fridge
4) attach gas line to beer out post
5) turn gas to 250 Kpa
6) leave for 36 hours,
7) disconnect gas line
8) leave for 12 hours
9) attach beer out line
10) pour 300 ml of head/trub out of beer tap
11) burp keg (remove all gas
12) attach gas line to gas post at 80 kpa
13) burp keg
14) pour beer, it will probably need another couple of days but is normally close.

read lots and remember patience :)

Your beer is overcarbonated. This is common for new keg users, especially when they force carbonate. The beer pours frothy and flat.

You need to remove some of the carbonation by releasing the pressure relief valve a few times over a few days. Even removing the keg lid for a few hours or half the day may help.

Have never used a Celli tap so cannot help you with the settings.

Good luck

Even removing the keg lid for a few hours or half the day may help.
I'd suggest a better method is to lift the ring on the burping valve, turn it 90 degrees and it sticks open. Achieves the same result (the gas can escape freely) but doesn't expose it to those damned vinegar flies we keep hearing about.

Yep, think i have overcarbed, i did rock for an additional 30sec when it appeared not enough carbonation... maybe i should of only done about 5-10 :(
i have released the head gas and will see what its like when i knock off work.

thanks for the replys.

appreciated.

Advice above is all good.

I over carbinated a keg recently only to discover it when I went to get a beer for 2 mates who came over.
Serving foam was not an option.
I wanted it right fast so I used the below method.

To get your head around it think of your keg as a big coke bottle.
No doubt you have shaken a bottle of coke or some sort of soft drink in your time then let the gas out to see bubbles form in the bottle and even spray out the lid.
The more you shake the more bubble/gas released and the flatter your soft drink.

Shake the keg then release the gas through the release valve.
Just like when you do this in a coke bottle there will be bubbles and they will come out your release valve.
Shake, release gas, then test some beer.
Repeat the shake, release and test until your beer is pouring ok then just put it back on serving pressure.

It took about 3 mins and some smart azz comments from my mates, but after that the beer was correct carbonation and pouring fine.

The reverse of force carbonation to get it right fast.

You have chosen wisely getting the keg set up, I have never looked back.
Only time I bottle is when I have to go some place I cant take my Keg set up and even then it's by filling bottles straight from the tap, just keep a few empty sterilised bottles in the freezer.
Cheers.

IMAGE_180.jpg

thanks for all the help guys.. got it all set up :)

Thanks also to Ross

Back