New keezer build. Gas/beer line quetions.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sx170

Reaction score
Hi all, I am setting up my first keezer and have a few questions on the gas and beer lines.
1. Should I stick with the barbed fittings or go with JG fittings?
2. What size is most commonly used?

I have heaps of 6mm od blue poly line used in household water filter and fridge installations.
I also have buckets of the JG push in fittings to suit, are these prone to leaking in a keezer situation?
I have never had any dramas regarding leaks with this stuff on mains pressure water but could gas & beer be different?
Or perhaps the poly tube is not suitable at all and I should look at silicone hose?

Look forward to any replies.

Cheers.

I'm using the JG push in fittings on my keezer and they're working a treat. No leaks whatsoever. As far as your beer/gas line goes, I'd probably recommend not being frugal on this and getting the proper stuff - http://www.fullpint.com.au/valpar-flexmaster/

It's not expensive at $2 a metre. Just get proper beer and gas line and be done with it!

Yea dont cheap out. loss of gas and or beer can be heart breaking. I use flex on beer lines, pvc for gas and mix of JG and barbed fittings. When new all my corny quick disconects leaked and needed a bit of silicon grease. The few knockoffs I have, didnt leak :-/

This is gear you buy once, yeah you replace lines every year or two and @$2/m who cares but everything else is long lasting, quality SS shanks, Taps, and quality reg and secondaries/manifold are a must. Poor man pays twice, sometimes 3 times. And losing a bottle of gas is a pain and usually happens the day before a long weekend.

+1 for the flexmaster beer and gas line
I use mainly barbed fittings with a couple of jg quick disconnects; both work fine
Get decent gas and beer connections as the cheap ones are sh*t.
a fan inside the keezer to blow cold air up to the top is a good idea
If you're fitting a collar, think about hinging both the collar and the lid as it makes getting the kegs in and out a bit easier

Anyone used mangrove Jack's beerline? Having trouble getting flexmaster in Sydney at an open store (I know absolute have it but they are closed)

I use pvc 6mm id, 8mm od gas line into the fridge then split into 2 using a JG 1 to 2 connector. The lines are attached to barbed gas disconnects with clamps. Beer line is food grade silicon (flexi) 4mm id, 6mm od attached to barbed disconnect with clamp and detachable faucet connection.
Works well, all easy to clean.
cheers

Late reply on this but as I am an air conditioning mechanic I have found the best things to use for gas are refrigeration lines and gauges. The lines are 1/4" flare so they work well for gas, no chance of leakage from the lines and the gauges can split gas across 3 kegs.

Quite expensive though if you don't have access to them, however you will only need to buy them once.

image.jpg

Sorry for the upside down photo, I am new to posting and don't know how to fix it......

It is a refrigeration manifold with 1/4 lines. They are used in the AC/refrigeration industry to check gas pressures.

http://www.imperial-tools.com.au/manifolds-gauges/

They are fairly expensive but I get them through work for not much so cost is not an issue for me.

Even just using the lines is worthwhile.

Back