new hop hog

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it might simply just be a bit of clever marketing. Saying "hey although this is an IPA by style we think Pale Ale lovers will enjoy it and not be offended". I highly doubt Brendan would risk changing an award winning beer. They have an APA (Runt) and an IIPA(Tusk) on tap most of the time at the brewery under different names so really no reason to claim its not an IPA.

So, 1 of the feral brewers has said the crossed out 'india' is a bit of a play due to some people whinging that its too weak for an ipa and too strong for an apa. He also said that feral dont really brew to style, they just brew what they enjoy.

danestead said:
So, 1 of the feral brewers has said the crossed out 'india' is a bit of a play due to some people whinging that its too weak for an ipa and too strong for an apa. He also said that feral dont really brew to style, they just brew what they enjoy.
That is cool. They can enjoy it. If I'm ever in the Swan Valley again, I'll stop in, or if a pub i visit happens to have it on tap I may get one. But I'm not buying their 4-pak bottles anymore. I'm sure they won't miss my $$.

I've not had this in bottle yet and my first time trying it was last week on tap at Dejavu. I bloody loved it I must say! Reminds me of my favourite Punk IPA. I'll need to try some bottles and see what the dealio is but fantastic beer so far.

GalBrew said:
Sure it wasn't Sly Fox? The labels are very similar and that is a pretty good description of it.
Funny you ask this... about a month ago I picked up a new label 'hog' and when I got it home realised it was a Sly Fox due to not reading the label closely... was least impressed as it's not a great beer IMO.

Just grabbed a pint of hop big from the pub in the hope that it was a bottle issue.... Not so unfortunately. The big hop punch in the face isn't there... Dissapointing it was such a great beer

I bought a four pack on Sunday and it was bloody awesome!!

i tried this beer a few months ago after hearing so much about it and was disappointed, it tasted like a really thin beer. Tried another 4 pack from a different bottlo and go the same result. Its not an issue of my palate being wrecked by my own beer either because at this stage i hadn't brewed for 5 months so was only buying beer and that was mainly coopers.

Back