New Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danz

Reaction score
Ok how is everyone? i am new here and new to brewing i had no idea where to post and have been reading a fair bit of info and have 2 brews done and bottled which taste ok but these were just from a coopers kit my next one i want to do is a pale ale i have the coopers liquid extract kit and i purchased a few type of hop pellets the other day 100g of (chink?) saaz, cascade, marko polo, nugget, and cluster i am just wondering what would be the one to use with a pale ale i know how to boil water and thats about it haha i also wanted to ask something else which is when a tin recommends enhancer 1 or 2 does this mean i still use the normal amount of sugar or dextrose that i would normally use? look forward to some feed back about boiling pellets... thanks guys

Hi Danz, welcome to the forum! This place is a wealth of info and i'm sure you will find a ton of helpful responses to your questions. there are some great minds at work in this place and i rely on them often for information myself!!

With regard to your brew, probably the most authentic hop you could use for an Aussie Coopers Pale would be Pride Of Ringwood as i believe it is the type that Coopers use themselves. A lot of australian beers typically use this hop variety. I have had some success with Cascade hops as they are also quite "florally" or "citrusy" which reminds me of the CPA (coopers pale ale). It is quite a "florally" beer if you really take in the aroma.
With the BE1 and 2, they are a substitute for "a kilo of sugar". Basically they are a blend of dextrose and other fermentables in slightly different quantities from BE1 to BE2.

Hope this helps,

bignath

Hi Danz, welcome to the forum! This place is a wealth of info and i'm sure you will find a ton of helpful responses to your questions. there are some great minds at work in this place and i rely on them often for information myself!!

With regard to your brew, probably the most authentic hop you could use for an Aussie Coopers Pale would be Pride Of Ringwood as i believe it is the type that Coopers use themselves. A lot of australian beers typically use this hop variety. I have had some success with Cascade hops as they are also quite "florally" or "citrusy" which reminds me of the CPA (coopers pale ale). It is quite a "florally" beer if you really take in the aroma.
With the BE1 and 2, they are a substitute for "a kilo of sugar". Basically they are a blend of dextrose and other fermentables in slightly different quantities from BE1 to BE2.

Hope this helps,

bignath

Thanks Big Nath for the reply and helping me out i will do some more reading so i don't have to ask to many more newbie questions...cheers

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum/addiction..

Personaly from the hops you have there i would use the Cascade and the Cluster, I would strongly suggest that you find the extract spreadsheet that "Ianh" has put up on here somewhere...a search should dig it out. it will teach you a lot with a bit of playing around with it.

basicly you get a pot with about 3lt of water with about 400 grams of your extract to the boil and add the hops depending on the hop profile you are after, the earlyer into the hour long boil , the more bittering you get from the hops and the later the more aroma and flavour.

As for the BE1 BE2, i havent used them i just buy dried malt extract's and more nowa days i do a kilo or so of grains.I only use Dex in high gravity(high alc) beers

Again, find that spreadsheet and have a good muck around with it....different ingredients, different hops, different grains. Your beers will love you for it

Ok how is everyone? i am new here and new to brewing i had no idea where to post and have been reading a fair bit of info and have 2 brews done and bottled which taste ok but these were just from a coopers kit my next one i want to do is a pale ale i have the coopers liquid extract kit and i purchased a few type of hop pellets the other day 100g of (chink?) saaz, cascade, marko polo, nugget, and cluster i am just wondering what would be the one to use with a pale ale i know how to boil water and thats about it haha i also wanted to ask something else which is when a tin recommends enhancer 1 or 2 does this mean i still use the normal amount of sugar or dextrose that i would normally use? look forward to some feed back about boiling pellets... thanks guys
Welcome to the obsession Danz.
Haven't tried those chinese hops but from what I've heard don't expect great things.
Just don't write off all hops if you think they're bad.

Latest posts

Back