New hand pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work. I picked up another yesterday for 55 pounds. Fair bit older and used to the first but to good an offer. Will really be testing my luggage allowance now.

2nd engine finally arrived. Was getting a bit worried it may not have come in time to accompany my on flight home.

Quite releived now. Fwiw they weigh in at aboit 7kg ea

zNeUxzWDbGa1Ap8Y99uOPT4rO_B228hTcKNpXr2JfpQ

Well sitting in dubai atm and the precious cargo was checked in without a kilo to spare. Sadly i had to jetison my harbury beer festival pint glasses to make the weigh in. As much as iam not looking fwd to the next14 hr flight iam chompin at the bit to get these babys home.

EDIT:
now home, set them up both pumped perfectly with water attached, next step to decant some irish red I brewed before i went away into my bladder that arrived from aliexpress while i was away and chill it down to about 8-10 deg, so hopefully i will be able to pull a few pints of irish red before the jet lag hits me and i hit the wall.

Last edited:
OK, Success, and a really nice afternoon yesterday sharing some hand pumped beers with the wife, a good mate and my old man.
Given the missus worked in an English pub many moons ago she was the one appointed to teach the rest of us how to draw the perfect hand drawn ale.

I am happy to say within an hour and a half later we had all passed her strict requirements to become Master Ale Dispensers.

3ZwNR5gd4E1C.jpg

3ZwN7jWKKLhq.jpg

Looks great!

Mine has also made the trip back in a suitcase, it looks almost unused! Unfortunately no time to play with it until the weekend at least... Have a couple of aged ales and bitters that I'm keen to test out - also thinking that a line onto a ball lock QD plugged into a steel carbonation cap with dip tube attached means I can dispense straight from PET bottles :)

Look fwd to seeing yours setup. The collapsable bladders work a treat. Iam sure pet bottles will as well. Did you get some sparklers???

Dont need a demand valve if the bladder is below the pump.

images

Have since aquired a 50l bar fridge to house 2 bladders in as well as a cooling liquid tank and an aquarium pump to make use of the cooling jackets.

Last edited:
Priorities got the better of me - finished work a little early today and managed to get it set up and pull some water through it. Looks fantastic! Will do a cleaning cycle on the weekend and mount it properly on the bar.

I have a bunch of collapsable water containers that I've used as 'casks' before for infusing ales with hops and fruit (kept in muslin), they do work well and fit nicely on the hump of my kegerator if I want to keep them chilled prior to a session. I'll probably just sit the bottles or bladders in a bucket of ice or cold water for sessions (cellar temp is only good for a month or two in QLD).

Yes I was lucky enough to score a bunch of necks and sparklers, as well as other miscellaneous fittings. I picked up a check valve from CFBS for 11GBP just to be sure - seems like cheap insurance to me.

Yeah i got some check valves from the same place. I guess if i ever wanted to draw from a bbq regulator fed corney they would come in handy.

So I picked up this from Kathmandu Outlet in Canberra today... $12.00. On clearance.

Perfect for some real ale action :)

View attachment 109043
they work an absolute treat, i have 2 and really should get a couple more, the 10 litre ones are a very good compromise, and being collapsable its no big deal if you only put 5 L in them,

they are however impossable to dry, when i use one i rinse it with clean water, then put a little bit of starsan in it and draw all the air out and close the valve and store it in a dark place,

then when i refill i simply empty the starsan and fill er up again.

Just bought one of the angrams down to the beach house for the weekend. These things are the easiest travelers. No gas dramas just had the 10l collapsable cube in the engel. Then put it in an insulated bag below the pump and presto. Already on to my 3rd pint of real ale.

How did u FD? Put it through its paces yet?
Yeah, I have done a few test pours but only off a temporary setup. It fits right in on my little ironbark bar and I'm keen to get it set up properly.

I'm using adaptors to step the hand pump down to an 8mm OD line into a QD that feeds off a PET with carb cap and silicon dip tube at the moment so I don't stale my kegged ESB.

Need a spare weekend to re-do all of my beer and gas lines and properly plumb this in as well so it can draw from the collapsable water containers in my keg fridge.

Spare weekends are a bit like unicorns this time of year. I havnt set them up perminantly yet but one of them has been on the road a few times. These things travek very well. But i havnt set up the cooling circuit/jacket yet. I just put a bladder in a insulated bag with a frozen ice block. Usage is pretty constant when we go away. Up at the ute muster it worked a treat. I still need to source an adapter to change the hose size on the second pump and havnt really lookied into adaptors for the quick connects for the cooling jackets yet..

Latest posts

Back