New hand pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sainter1775

Reaction score
So lads just picked up angram CQ hand pump ...mint condition from UK $250 delivered 5 days...sick!!!!. So enough crap I'm looking to hook it up to corny keg , kegg will have a little keg crabing just for head pressure. Has any one done this?
tmp_16712-20160521_2044361213787431.jpg

Been done before for sure. Not sure of the exact details but some people flip em on their side on a slight angle to keep the yeast on the bottom. May involve a some keg mods but can't remember. Glad to be of help lol

You will need a check valve and also a breather if you want to use kegs.. opps sorry there goes another $250.. or you can purge your keg everytime you use it.. but you will still get oxidation if you dont use it all quick

You should search fro the "Show me your beer engine" thread.
There are options for connecting a keg to a beer engine without a check valve but you will need an aspirator.
There are also other options discussed.

I've hooked one of mine to a corny before. I just put a screwdriver/long nail/other straight thing through the PRV split ring with either end up on the keg handles.
This lets the keg breathe as you dispense, then, as mentioned above, just purge with C02 when you're done.
The amount of dissolved C02 at the end of fermentation is about right for hand pump dispensing. So, to preserve this level, I've had good results crash chilling after the diacetyl rest, then kegging with ~1 point left to go.
This can leave a bit more suspended yeast because it's not quite finished, but I usually use 1968 which is 50% lead (it would seem) so the rest drops quickly in the keg. YMMV

Thanks danwood seems logical. How would I connect the pump to the keg, it would appear that I need to step down from barb shown in attached picture to a barb to fit on beer line.tmp_9769-20160522_1351441213787431.jpg

Over in the UK atm and just pick3d up a angram cq 1/4 pull water jacketed beer engine and a few northern sparklers. Its ex pub working condition and got it for 70 pounds. Gave it the once over and is all good except missing drip tray and holder.

Have removed swan neck and handle so i can pack it better. Really looking forward to setting this baby up when i get home. P8cs to follow.

Over in the UK atm and just pick3d up a angram cq 1/4 pull water jacketed beer engine and a few northern sparklers. Its ex pub working condition and got it for 70 pounds. Gave it the once over and is all good except missing drip tray and holder.

Have removed swan neck and handle so i can pack it better. Really looking forward to setting this baby up when i get home. P8cs to follow.

Great work, I'm heading to the UK in a couple of weeks and plan to pick one up myself. Where did you get it from? eBay?

Great work, I'm heading to the UK in a couple of weeks and plan to pick one up myself. Where did you get it from? eBay?
Yes. You have to look araound as they are all over the place. The bloke i got it from is in lincoln and it was buy it now. Fortinately my brother in law is near there and he picked it up and held it until we caught up with him.

I dont think I have ever had a hand pumped beer before.

Is it warm, flat, oxidised ale?

Why?

Yes. You have to look araound as they are all over the place. The bloke i got it from is in lincoln and it was buy it now. Fortinately my brother in law is near there and he picked it up and held it until we caught up with him.
Ah, half your luck. Not a lot of great options on eBay buy it now so will be bidding on some auctions. Unfortunately CFBS, EWL and Angram are all out of reconditioned CQs at the moment - and 200quid for a new unit seems a little unnecessary for my home bar :/

Why?
No not flat, but only a very small amount of sugar added, and no, it is not oxidised if you are into the AIPA then don't go for the hand pump, Stout Bitter Mild & IPA come out great through the hand pump forcing the beer through the sparkler give the beer a smooth creamy taste. Wouldn't do without mine.

Ah, half your luck. Not a lot of great options on eBay buy it now so will be bidding on some auctions. Unfortunately CFBS, EWL and Angram are all out of reconditioned CQs at the moment - and 200quid for a new unit seems a little unnecessary for my home bar :/
Check your settings. Use ebay.co.uk and change your setting to UK and you will get the pumps listed that are not posting to Aus. There will be more come up then.

Last edited:
Check your settings. Use ebay.co.uk and change your setting to UK and you will get the pumps listed that are not posting to sus. There will be more come up then.
Thanks, I was on ebay.co.uk but hadn't changed primary shipping address. Half a dozen extra options - appreciate the tip!

Why?

A hand pump is only a tool or engine that was used for dispensing beer before co2 dispensed keg beer came along.

They were traditionally used to pump cask ale stored in the cooler cellar below ground up to the warmer public above ground rather than gravity dispense at ambient.

Cask ale is normally served warmer and less carbonated, almost flat compared to keg ale. It also becomes oxidised as air enters the cask, that is part of the style but it’s usually at its best to most tastes consumed before oxidisation becomes too prominent.

If you haven’t tried cask then give it a go and see if you like it.

Why?
There are many differing experiences to be had. Personally i love em and will generally choose a cask ale over a draft 9 out of 10 times.

I have had some a little more dissapointing than others with the occasional one showing signs of oxidation which isnt really my thing. Also most of the pubs in the midlands area dont use sparklers but about 30 percent do. I tend to prefer the sparklers myself although they tend to be white sparkle4s with 1mm holes rather than the bkack oneswwith .6mm holes which are more prevelent up north.

I will be intending to have my ale stored in a collapsable potable water container kept at 8 degree to eliminate any contact with air therefore keeping the beer fresher for longer. I will also permemently have 8 degC glycol circulating through the engines jacket.

Last edited:
I ended up grabbing a basically new Angram CQ with some spare parts for ~100GBP. Looking forward to pulling some pints...

Latest posts

Back