New Gear=new Efficiency? Yes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're talking Mash Efficiency then 87% is not unusual, I usually achieve around 90%. But Brewhouse Efficiency nooooooooooo.

Screwy

Screwy, in my original homebrew set-up ( made for 12litre batches) my mash efficiency was usually up around 98% and batch efficiency was 88-90% !!! :eek:
Then I doubled the size of my rig and dropped back to 75-77%...
At work Iusually get around 90% for infusions and 94% for decoctions... although my last infusion was up to 93%.

Screwy, in my original homebrew set-up ( made for 12litre batches) my mash efficiency was usually up around 98% and batch efficiency was 88-90% !!! :eek:
Then I doubled the size of my rig and dropped back to 75-77%...
At work Iusually get around 90% for infusions and 94% for decoctions... although my last infusion was up to 93%.

Thats high Beersom, I remember struggling with 63% efficiency years ago. Slowly increased over time with improved kit and processes. You poor bugger, having to bucket all that wort when decocting ;)

Cheers,

Screwy

Kettle efficiency lets me down Pete, drops my Brewhouse Eff.

Screwy

Can someone explain to me what Kettle efficiency is?

I am trying to work out my efficiency problem and am tracking it down to mash efficiency of around 80% rather than something closer to 100% (calculated by measuring gravity of first wort runnings and comparing to extract available from my ingredient list). I also think having a SS braid and batch sparging is leaving some sugars behind (which I would call lautering efficiency - is this what you mean by kettle efficiency?) but I am not sure how to measure this....

Cheers

Where are ya on the sunny coast Im in caloundra
sav

Yandina, Tidal Pete knows where exactly. ;)

I'm thinking of doing an "open brew day" sometime soon, just so someone other than myself will get to have a laugh at my procedures! :unsure:

Back