1st Time Reiterated Mash on Guten 50L using Voyager Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
I have a 66 litre fermenter (ferments 60L), but with the Guten 50L Ive only been able to get 40L into it.
So today I decided to try a re-iterated mash, and attempt to get 60L at around 1.048.
I didn't find any decent techniques documented so I sort of made it up as I went along.
Also, I wanted to use hops that I had left over in the fridge, so this recipe it totally made up.
Whether it tastes good, I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Heres the recipe and technique.
  1. 28L water into Guten
  2. 2 Ts CaC04
  3. 8.8kg Voyager Schooner Pale, 60min at 66.7C
  4. Sparge 15L
  5. Discard grains
  6. 8.8kg Voyager Schooner Pale, 60min at 66.7C
  7. Sparge 20L
  8. 60g Chinook 60min
  9. 40g Chinook 20min
  10. 100g Amarillo at 1min
Here are the volumes and gravitys

Step G Vol(l)
---------------------- ------- -----
After Mash............ . 1.064 ---- ?
After Sparge 1....... 1.056 ---- 35
After Mash 2......... 1.086 ---- ?
After Sparge 2 ...... . 1.068 ---- 45
After Boil............. 1.077 ---- 40 (lost 1 litre trub)
Into fermenter +21L. 1.050 ---- 60 (calculated not measured)

(will add US05 yeast havent done it yet)

I started at 2:30pm and finished cleaning up and putting away at 8pm.

Here a few pics

Here mash 1 is underway, and 8.8kg of Voyager is standing by
View media item 10996
More scorching than I have ever had.
I used vinegar and a fresh scotch pad to clean,
View media item 10995
It came up ok
View media item 10994

Ending up with 60L at 1.050 (12.5oP) means you have 60*1.050*0.125=7.875kg of extract.
From 17.6kg of decent base malt, well lets say it has a potential of 76% 17.6*0.76=13.376kg, 7.785/13.376=58.8% overall efficiency.

Just one of the reasons I don't like reiterated mashing, I expect something like 80-82% overall efficiency on a single brew.
Better to do two single brews and just mix them together, with no-chill there isn't even much of a time penalty.

Mark

Just one of the reasons I don't like reiterated mashing, I expect something like 80-82% overall efficiency on a single brew.
Better to do two single brews and just mix them together, with no-chill there isn't even much of a time penalty.

Mark

Well, the theory goes that its only an extra hour of brew time because of 2nd mash, that didnt up being true, it was way longer.
Yeah, after my first attempt, Im thinking re-iterated is not the best way to go. But if I did 2 brews, In reckon I'd still be out there cleaning now, so saves at least 1.5 hours.

NEEEEED the bigger Guten

At least you had a go and learned something in the process, what you could do is get another unit, just a boiler, boil the first batch in that and start again for the additional batch in the Guten.

Fermentation down to 1010 3 days ago.
Crash cooling to 2.5C for 3 days now because I hadnt cleaned the kegs in time, so I will keg tomorrow.

Update.

Last night tasted this experimental beer for the first time.
Very Very cloudy. Not at all clear despite crash cooling and some 2 x tablespoon of Biofine clear.
So this is the first thing I noticed. As its cloudy, I expect the yeast flavour to have some dominance, but Im not sure because.....

Next, flavour.
Not used to the Chinook / Amarillo hops, so it was a bit strange.
The mouthfeel is somehow good, definitely a summer beer, its fruity but hard to describe until I looked up its profile tonight.
Chinook - Some say Grapefruit, and yes thats sort of what it is.
Amarillo - Some say Orange, which is 100% correct.

This beer is a cloudy cross between yeast, orange and grapefruit. Yes, this is a breakfast beer. :)

Ive got 60L of this beer to consume.
Its not a disaster beer.
It somehow grows on you (especially after a few)
Even now, just a few minutes after typing (without a sip), you can taste that grapefruit.

I dunno, I reckon the experiment was worth it.

:)

ps: need to add, its quite strong, well between 5 and 6 %, but I blame it on the Grpefruit

Update.

Last night tasted this experimental beer for the first time.
Very Very cloudy. Not at all clear despite crash cooling and some 2 x tablespoon of Biofine clear.
So this is the first thing I noticed. As its cloudy, I expect the yeast flavour to have some dominance, but Im not sure because.....

Next, flavour.
Not used to the Chinook / Amarillo hops, so it was a bit strange.
The mouthfeel is somehow good, definitely a summer beer, its fruity but hard to describe until I looked up its profile tonight.
Chinook - Some say Grapefruit, and yes thats sort of what it is.
Amarillo - Some say Orange, which is 100% correct.

This beer is a cloudy cross between yeast, orange and grapefruit. Yes, this is a breakfast beer. :)

Ive got 60L of this beer to consume.
Its not a disaster beer.
It somehow grows on you (especially after a few)
Even now, just a few minutes after typing (without a sip), you can taste that grapefruit.

I dunno, I reckon the experiment was worth it.

:)

ps: need to add, its quite strong, well between 5 and 6 %, but I blame it on the Grpefruit
Did you use any whirfloc in the boil? Or maybe look at the way you sparged, for a while now I have been making every effort to end up with a clear beer without adding any clearing agent and so far it has been successful.

Best to get your self into a good habit, when you weigh out your hops if you put them in containers put your whirfloc out at the same time and keep it in sight so you can't forget.

Yes your right, I usually do this, mostly I use Beersmith, print the recipe and then go.
As there was no "printout" I forgot

Latest posts

Back