New Fermenters By Coopers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
I seem to recall recently reading about Coopers now supplying a no airlock fementer. I believe it works by essentially having a loose lid to help the co2 to escape. As the wort ferments and the co2 pressure eases, the lid begins to close and consequently seals the fermenting wort from the elements.

Dropped into my LHB shop yesterday and they hadn't received them as yet.

Has anybody been able to get a hold of them yet? I'm thinking they would be good for use in my brewing fridge which dosen't have much height clearance and therefore using an airlock is a bit of a struggle.

I suppose you could just use a normal screw top type fermenter with no airlock hole, but that would mean having to tighten the lid as the fermentation process eases.

Cheers

You could go grab a new fermenter, or you could do what alot of people on here do and take the o-ring out and use it to hold on some gradwrap, it will release o2 when the pressure gets high enough and prevent anything getting in.

Knowing Coopers they will charge a premium for this cutting edge technology. Just do what Acasta said. Good iodea for fermentation fridges though. No need for an air lock to be bubbling IMO.

STEVE

I got one in a kit from K-Mart, cost me about $80 for the whole thing.

TmC, you'll soon realise that a $16 water barrel from Bunnings and a sheet of gladwrap can make just as good a beer as a gimmicky fermenter. Remember that when you are buying your 4th, 5th, 6th fermenter LOL.

TmC, you'll soon realise that a $16 water barrel from Bunnings and a sheet of gladwrap can make just as good a beer as a gimmicky fermenter. Remember that when you are buying your 4th, 5th, 6th fermenter LOL.

Same for taps, cubes, poly pipe etc etc... Heaps cheaper than any brand stuff and even stuff from your LHBS...

Back OT: Interesting to note how they work though. I also have seen these in K-Mart and it looks like one bucket sitting inside another...the top bucket with the bottom cut out. Although thats all I could figure from the piccy on the box.

I ended up buying another 30L water container and an airlock and making my own, cost about $30 for airlock, container, grommet and tap. I also have a few unused 10L cubes that i have put ginger beer in, cant let them sit there idly.

I have had one since Xmas and actually think it is better than the "standard" type you see or anything you can get at bunnings. Each to their own though.
I got mine for $75 on special at Big W. Sounds expensive yes but you get:

1 fermenter (+tap)
30 PET bottles
30 PET caps
Carb drops
1 x BE1
1 Can Of Goo (Lager)
1 Hydrometer (plastic, which I like)

add all that up and it doesn't sound so expensive imo.

Also what appeals to me is the ease of cleaning. There are no threads, not even the tap has a thread. For those who think they are smaller than a kit with an airlock I doubt it. They are 40cm diameter and 55cm tall which includes the Krausen collar and lid, even though the collar doesn't have to stay on all they time. That really only benefits a wild, expanding krausen trying to get out.

I am happy with it and in fact am watching for when they come on special again and will get another one.

Although I've been brewing for almost 3 years I've recently gone over to the GLAD side
The scales have fallen from my eyes. Compared to the world of lids, grommets, airlocks etc it's just so clean and sensible, nowhere for bugs to hide, and you can see exactly what's going on in the FV.

To be honest, i only really like the sound the airlock makes :D

Something we took from the Germans in WW2.. Jerry Cans! :D

Easy to clean: sodium percarbonate (Napisan)
Cheap: $22
Economical on fridge space: 3 side by side if your fermenting fridge
Range of colours: white AND blue
Handles: makes them easy to carry while you make beer to make more love handles - win :win :lol:
Chickens: don't fit in the cap unfortunately.

350_130119.jpg

I have a 30L one that i have ginger beer in, the only problem was mixing but i just shook it around a little.

I suppose you could just use a normal screw top type fermenter with no airlock hole, but that would mean having to tighten the lid as the fermentation process eases.
Yep, sounds to me like they'll charge a premium for eliminating excess components that are not needed.
Simply don't screw the lid on tightly and/or put a bottle cap over the airlock hole if you have one (see picture below).
Although I've been brewing for almost 3 years I've recently gone over to the GLAD side
You sure had me fooled ... looks more like the bottle-cap-on-lid side to me. :p
resultMedium.jpg

Something we took from the Germans in WW2.. Jerry Cans! :D
Cheap: $22
Economical on fridge space: 3 side by side if your fermenting fridge
Yeah but they are harder to clean, since you can't fit your hand in, and the one in your picture does not have a tap attached so siphoning is difficult, I mostly use my Jerry's for secondary/lagering.

There should be various plastic suppliers/warehouses around where you can pickup both Jerry's and round fermenting containers are very resonable prices.

Temporary covering only until I put the Gladdie on :icon_cheers:

Part of the Double drop post IIRC

dropprimaryMedium.jpg

To be honest, i only really like the sound the airlock makes :D

Ditto.

I have done glad wrap but find the airlock bubbling relaxing. I love the 'surprise' of the first glug glug. Not in a rush to give it up.

Instead of glad wrap however, and especially when doing belgians or others with lots of krausen, I do use these plastic things that look like shower caps made from transparent blue and red plastic. It has elastic around it, and is used to cover plates of food. They are sold at Coles for a dollar or two for a dozen or so. They never come off or rip. I highly recommend them over glad wrap, although glad wrap gives you a better view of what is happening inside.

I think they are too expensive. I get fermenters from Crown Concepts in Oakleigh South. 30L cost under $10 and 15L cost $7.50. They also have 60L if I am not mistaken. These are exactly the same ones as those sold at G&G and other LHBS for two and a half times the price. Taps cost less than a dollar each (80 cents if I am not mistaken). Same ones again. The owner is a top guy too.

They also have all manner of cubes, jerry cans and the likes.

I went in today and bought my third batch of fermenters (I also use them to store ingredients for brewing and the Guinea Pig food). Walked out with enough for 90L of beer and several taps for less than I could kit out a 30L batch at the LHBS. Not such a big deal anymore if a beer has to be in a primary of secondary for long periods.

Yep, sounds to me like they'll charge a premium for eliminating excess components that are not needed.
Simply don't screw the lid on tightly and/or put a bottle cap over the airlock hole if you have one (see picture below).

You sure had me fooled ... looks more like the bottle-cap-on-lid side to me. :p
resultMedium.jpg

Yeah but they are harder to clean, since you can't fit your hand in, and the one in your picture does not have a tap attached so siphoning is difficult, I mostly use my Jerry's for secondary/lagering.

There should be various plastic suppliers/warehouses around where you can pickup both Jerry's and round fermenting containers are very resonable prices.

It's OK Wolfy - no need to siphon - the tap is on the far side of the pic. Without a tap on any of the fermenter types discussed it would be a major PITA.

As for cleaning, just let them soak in Napisan - give wee shake if you need to. This way the surface is never compromised. I've got my first cube that Screwtop gave me in 2006 still in use! :D

I think they are too expensive. I get fermenters from Crown Concepts in Oakleigh South. 30L cost under $10 and 15L cost $7.50. They also have 60L if I am not mistaken. These are exactly the same ones as those sold at G&G and other LHBS for two and a half times the price. Taps cost less than a dollar each (80 cents if I am not mistaken). Same ones again. The owner is a top guy too.

They also have all manner of cubes, jerry cans and the likes.

I went in today and bought my third batch of fermenters (I also use them to store ingredients for brewing and the Guinea Pig food). Walked out with enough for 90L of beer and several taps for less than I could kit out a 30L batch at the LHBS. Not such a big deal anymore if a beer has to be in a primary of secondary for long periods.

I picked up a couple from Crown and one has a lid with no airlock hole
- not sure if it was just missed or if they supply both types. The lady who was looking after the place at the time didn't know. I like it because I don't use an airlock, just a bottle cap over the hole, so any fridge condensation that pools on the lid is easy to remove.

The scales have fallen from my eyes. Compared to the world of lids, grommets, airlocks etc it's just so clean and sensible, nowhere for bugs to hide, and you can see exactly what's going on in the FV.

Welcome to the clear side.

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back