New Creatures Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
From the creatures web:
All Things Bright and Beautiful

During the month of May the Little Creatures Brewery will roll out its first new product since the Pilsner packaged launch in late 2004. Little Creatures Bright Ale is a 4.5% alc/vol with beautiful aromatic hop characters and specialty malt flavours that will create a fresh new Australian ale style. The beer is top fermented, filtered (hence bright), unpasteurised, and golden in colour. The beer will be made available this month in pack and on tap. Director Howard Cearns says with the growing consumer interest in a variety of beer styles and in consultation with our trading partners we believe there is the opportunity for the company to provide a full strength, easy drinking Australian ale (as opposed to the standard lager), with the characteristic Little Creatures approach to great flavour and balance on the palate. The Bright Ale will be available nationally and will compliment the existing range being Little Creatures Pale Ale, Little Creatures Pilsner, and Rogers Beer.

Can't wait

Yeah, sounds good. I wonder what hops they are using for it? Doesn't sound like it will be an American style. Perhaps something like Hallertau. I have seen some great Aussie Pale Ales recently that have used Hallertau as the flavour hop. Mountain Goat Pale Ale is one that springs to mind, which is a bloody nice drink in my opinion. Something like that would be a welcomed addition to the bottle shops!

Or possibly an Amarillo golden ale like Squires Golden?

mmm..sounds alright.
I'll try it out.

cheers
johnno

Been waiting for something like this in the bottle shops! :beerbang:

Mouth watering already.... :super:

Had it at Beertopia last weekend.

Wasn't that impressed. It's always going to suffer from comparisons to LCPA.

The bright had that classic LCPA aroma but was thinner and lacked oomph. Maybe more of a mass market appeal.

I tried it at beertopia and wasnt very impressed. I'm still rather bad at describing tastes, but it certianly didnt taste very hoppy... a bit nothing-y according to my notes. that said, it was being compared to some of the very nice beers they had there.

I had a go at it too.
Easy drinking = Heading toward's and acceptable maketplace breverage for the Eastern masses?
Sorry nothing special.
:excl:

Luke

BTW
( CUB/INTERBEV had forbidden fruit in stubby's)

new zealand hops. i tihnk you may be right with halleratau and mabe a bit of NZ cascade aswell.

I like it. its not a big bitter hoppy beer like the Pale but more of a session beer. Beyond any mainstream 'premium' rubbish by a long shot. plus its an ale. still has plenty of aromatic hop aroma/flavour, jsut not in your face like the Pale. It is a different style so probably shouldnt be compared to the pale. jsut liek you wouldnt compare the pilsner with the pale.

I have always thought that LCPA was pretty much the anti-session beer (although I have been guilty of partaking in a number of long all-LCPA sessions at the Australian!). Maybe they have decided to keep the underlying theme of LCPA there but just make a more session-friendly version of it. Interested to hear that it does seem to be in the American style.

Tried this baby at Beertopia on friday night. It uses some new zealand saaz hops ('zaaz') for flavour and aroma, and you can really tell. Like drinking a fruity pilsner. :D Not quite up to LCPA, but still enjoyable non the less.

Cheers,
Mark

It makes sense for them to brew the ale.

Its the session beer or for people who arent up to the LCPA, in addition they will be able to turn over alot more of it than their pils in the brewery, making better use of the capacity they have.

I had better get down there for a taste :chug:

I had a taste at beertopia also. It definitely has the fruity cascade finish of LCPA and Rogers.

I was a bit disappointed with it, especially when stacking it up with Rogers and LCPA. I felt it didn't really fit into their range - it is kind of sqeezed in between these two beers, but isn't as good as either.

I had a heart-to-heart with the brewery rep about it and she said it was created specifically for the east coast market. They felt LCPA was too bitter for mass-market appeal, so they needed something a bit more mainstream.

On the bright side, it might help to steer drinkers towards hoppy beers. That can only be a good thing.

I've not tasted this beer, but if it's a more mainstream beer that still has some real taste to it, then i think that's a good thing. The more the general public is educated that a beer actually should have taste the better. The more consumers, the more $$$ available for micro's. You're never going to convince the masses to drink LCPA, however the more dollars that can be sunk into micro's, the more range available to the connoisseurs.
My only issue is that i hope LC don't become too successfull and drop their beer standards in favour of sales - something JS have been very guilty of IMHO.

Just got back from tasting LC'c new Bright, so without the pallate of Guest Lurker or the eloqu, eloquen, wordiness of DeeBee here goes.

Very bright , would you believe, very pilsner like in colour and carbonated on the high side for an ale, a moderate to thin white head that stays all the way down the glass.
I could'nt detect much of an aroma, but thats me and my sinus's for you.
First impression is of a very lighter bodied version of its big brother, well balanced between a citrus hop flavour and an underlying malt that is again reminiscent of a good pilsner. I would'nt be surprised if this was created by mixing the LCPA 50/50 with the rather ordinary pilsner, then fine tuning the brew. That would be a good experiment for next time.
The hops I would pick as Spalt and an American strain for the finish, Amarillo?
The finish is very dry which leaves a clean mouth thirsty for the next one.

A very well balanced beer, much more drinkable in volume than the revered pale ale, and at 4.5% you should be able to squeeze just one more in.
I think its a winner.

Won't be trying it until tonight, was on an AFD yesterday!

Back