New Computer - Whoa!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

To err is human, to arrr is pirate
Reaction score
Old computer's hard drive was starting to pile up (it's nice when they warn you), so I went all-out and built a new one from scratch. Got it finished a couple of hours ago.

Intel i7 2600K
+
16GB RAM
+
128GB SSD for windows & programs
+
1TB conventional drive for data
+
Spanky 1GB video card

=

images201005maxell.jpg

:icon_drool2:

Old computer's hard drive was starting to pile up (it's nice when they warn you), so I went all-out and built a new one from scratch. Got it finished a couple of hours ago.

Intel i7 2600K
+
16GB RAM
+
128GB SSD for windows & programs
+
1TB conventional drive for data
+
Spanky 1GB video card

=

View attachment 45415

:icon_drool2:

So is that faster or slower than my Quad Core 2.66 Ghz Xeon machine? I only have 4GB ram and 6TB storage.

So is that faster or slower than my Quad Core 2.66 Ghz Xeon machine? I only have 4GB ram and 6TB storage.

You'd have to look up your processor here. Depends on which particular one you have, but you're in the ballpark with the one I have. Only big difference is price.

Windoze 8 will be out shortly to slow it back down to normal speed :)

Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.

Must be a complicated recipe if the computer needs 16GB of RAM

;)

I run a couple very 'intense' programs and the extra RAM helps - a lot. Schematic editor and PCB layout and video editing. It's kind of a habit as I've always jammed as much RAM as I could into every system I've owned.

For the hell of it I downloaded and ran the CPU benchmark program found here. My processor score was 11,423. :huh: :super:

...And I haven't even started to play with overclocking. Kind of doubt that I will now.

Gotta love those SSD's. :)
IIRC the 2600k has an unlocked multi. Are you going to overclock it?

Every two years my computer dies so I go back to the computer man and he sells me a new box and I put my XP onto it, put some of my drives back in, e.g. Blu-ray and a killer video card my son gave me, plug in 22" monitor and the DLink wifi shit and I set a timer for two years.
:icon_cheers:

I have a degree in Software Engineering and I'm an ex Tutor at QUT but for five bucks a week I'd rather be brewing and drinking.

Sorry for going AWOL. I'm having a devil of a time with the AHB site since upgrading. No matter what I do or what browser I use, I can't stay logged in, so that makes posting a chore. [posting this via an older laptop, BTW] Tried IE8, IE9, chrome, firefox, and opera, all with the same result. I can log in but the second I click a topic or navigate to a different sub-forum, I'm logged out. I have a feeling it's a cookie issue but I can't confirm. Also tried blowing all temporary internet files, cookies, etc with no joy. Also had this issue with vista about a year ago.

To answer the questions:
- 64 bit version of windows
- I'll eventually get around to overclocking the processor but I'm waiting for a new mobo firmware version first as this one has issues with awakening from sleep

Back