New Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nqtrancer

Reaction score
G'day all,

Been a long time lurker here and finally bought a Morgans Brew Kit today, im excited as and cant wait to get started.

I was just rummaging through the kit making sure everything was in there and ok, the kit came with "Queensland Gold" with a lhbs mix of sugar in a bag.

Label on the bag says :
Light Dry Malt 250g
Gem Spray 250g
Dextrose 150g
"For a full flavoured mid strength beer"

Now i thought i was particulary versed in the ingredients since ive been reading this forum for a couple of months on and off, but i have no idea what Gem Spray is, and a quick google search doesnt seem to bring anything up in relation to brewing, you guys know what it is? obviously its not a sugar as i assume the LDM and Dex weight is what makes it a mid strength beer.

Another question : Ive got a truck load of empty pop top imports, and most of them are 330ml, the kit came with carb drops and specify 1 per 375, is this a problem for 330ml?

Thanks guys

Looking forward to gettin in on the craft brewing action. :D

Never heard of gem spray, but it's got to be something nonfermentable, to keep the alcohol level low and still give the beer some body, must be a proprietry name for corn syrup/maltodextrose.
You shouldn't have a problem with the carb drops, it may be slightly over carbed, bust make sure fermentation is well and truly done before bottling and there's no wild yeasts that infect it while bottling.

Never heard of gem spray, but it's got to be something nonfermentable, to keep the alcohol level low and still give the beer some body, must be a proprietry name for corn syrup/maltodextrose.
You shouldn't have a problem with the carb drops, it may be slightly over carbed, bust make sure fermentation is well and truly done before bottling and there's no wild yeasts that infect it while bottling.

Bad handwriting ??

After looking carefully at the letters and what it is likely to be - it may have suppossed to read " Corn Syrup"

PB :D

G'day all,

Been a long time lurker here and finally bought a Morgans Brew Kit today, im excited as and cant wait to get started.

I was just rummaging through the kit making sure everything was in there and ok, the kit came with "Queensland Gold" with a lhbs mix of sugar in a bag.

Label on the bag says :
Light Dry Malt 250g
Gem Spray 250g
Dextrose 150g

Now i thought i was particulary versed in the ingredients since ive been reading this forum for a couple of months on and off, but i have no idea what Gem Spray is, and a quick google search doesnt seem to bring anything up in relation to brewing, you guys know what it is? obviously its not a sugar as i assume the LDM and Dex weight is what makes it a mid strength beer.

Another question : Ive got a truck load of empty pop top imports, and most of them are 330ml, the kit came with carb drops and specify 1 per 375, is this a problem for 330ml?

Thanks guys

I agree with other posts.That label would have to be corn syrup for sure.
Drinking one of these now although I upped the dex a little but this is a nice beer to get started with, a good easy drinker. Im just about to do another. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I use 330ml bottles with carb drops and have never had a problem with flat or over carbonation, I think they are pretty forgiving... Try and see if you are happy, if not try sugar priming or bulk priming. Tool around and work out what is best for you!! But a carb drop in a 330ml bottle will not bring you any harm if thats what you mean.

Happy brewing!

Cocko.

Thanks lads.

Put it down yesterday, ive got it sitting in a tub full of water at the moment with the temp in the low 20's, bubbling very slowly since early last night but ill expect to come home to it today bubbling alot faster.

G'day all,

Label on the bag says :
Light Dry Malt 250g
Gem Spray 250g
Dextrose 150g

Thanks guys

Brewcraft sell a gemdex pack which consists of dextrose and maltodextrin, so id assume that gem spray would be maltodextrin...

Well I had this beer down on the 20th, it bubbled away for about 3 days, then slowed and seemed to have stopped pushing the airlock by the 5th day. I forgot to take Gravity readings until the 5th day, which was 1012 .. I checked again on the 7th day and it was 1012, so thinking it was finished i bottled it up and i have had them sitting in a cool spot in the shed the last 2 days

After reading the morgans site im a little concerned as they say to not bottle until FG is atleast 1005 :(

Now the ambient temps were hanging around 16 - 25 the entire time, the fermenter was sitting in a tub of water for the first 4 days which seem to keep the temp fairly stable 19 - 22 degrees, possiblility it may have got cooler in the early mornings maybe as low as 16.. Should i be concerned with bottle bombs? If so, is the best way out of this, is to have a big beer session with a bunch of mates ASAP ? :unsure:

Thanks guys

Well I had this beer down on the 20th, it bubbled away for about 3 days, then slowed and seemed to have stopped pushing the airlock by the 5th day. I forgot to take Gravity readings until the 5th day, which was 1012 .. I checked again on the 7th day and it was 1012, so thinking it was finished i bottled it up and i have had them sitting in a cool spot in the shed the last 2 days

After reading the morgans site im a little concerned as they say to not bottle until FG is atleast 1005 :(

Now the ambient temps were hanging around 16 - 25 the entire time, the fermenter was sitting in a tub of water for the first 4 days which seem to keep the temp fairly stable 19 - 22 degrees, possiblility it may have got cooler in the early mornings maybe as low as 16.. Should i be concerned with bottle bombs? If so, is the best way out of this, is to have a big beer session with a bunch of mates ASAP ? :unsure:

Thanks guys

I reckon they will be ok. Just try one every few days to check the pressure. Hard work but someone has to do it

I reckon they will be ok. Just try one every few days to check the pressure. Hard work but someone has to do it

Give it a week before the first try. If it seems carbed OK then put all of them in a cold place like your beer fridge.

First brews are killers. After the first one you will have some patience and be willing to let it set a bit longer. That is unless you call all your mates and tell them the beer is done and drink it on the same night. Then you will not have the pleasure of finding it gets better with a bit of time.

Give it a week before the first try. If it seems carbed OK then put all of them in a cold place like your beer fridge.

First brews are killers. After the first one you will have some patience and be willing to let it set a bit longer. That is unless you call all your mates and tell them the beer is done and drink it on the same night. Then you will not have the pleasure of finding it gets better with a bit of time.

Hah, thats ok, need the bottles so i can start another brew :>
Hopefully i wont have problems with them

Thanks for the quick replies..

Latest posts

Back