New brewer in Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kendoll said:
So, this Sunday it will be 4 weeks in the bottle for my first attempt. Was thinking of putting a couple in the fridge and trying them. Only ended up doing half the batch (other things, including my laziness, got in the way).

Will see how this goes before deciding on doing any more soon.

Seems to be quite a bit of 'sediment' in the bottom of the bottles, but the line of 'gunk' at the top seems to have gone. :mellow:

Ken
bloody hell what are you waiting for, drink the bloody thing

go put one in the freezer now and come back and post here in half an hour as you open it

:chug:

Sans Souci, isn't there a brew club down there in the Shoire Mr Frodo? Obviously a lot of brewers down that way to hobnob with.

Bribie G said:
Sans Souci, isn't there a brew club down there in the Shoire Mr Frodo? Obviously a lot of brewers down that way to hobnob with.
Too right Bribie!!......Kendoll get in touch with us at SLAB (in the groups/clubs section), just a bunch of beer lovers,from K&K to Rims to Braumeisters,always keen to have new members.
Meet once a month,always a good get together......although our swmbo,s might not agee!

mckenry said:
Besides the most important bits of advice, such as cleanliness, yeast health and temp control, the next most important is "Dont get lazy" I'm sure you used the word in a different manner, but laziness in homebrewing is asking for trouble. You quickly get big build ups of mouldy gunk if youre too lazy to clean your fermenter promptly. Letting your gear, including bottles get gunky is a PITA!!! Cleaning next time round is horrible. Laziness breeds laziness, so you cut a corner here, another there, all of a sudden, you have an infection in your brewhouse that would have survived Hiroshima. Lots of us are about minimal effort / time, but not laziness, when it comes to particulars. You really need to plan your time well. Its pretty difficult to do brewing and something else at once, especially when youre getting used to your system. I know youre doing K&K at the moment, but you will probably progress to mini-boils and more and more complicated brewing. Then you wont want to let other things get in the way.
Enjoy your brewing, it can be a wonderfully rewarding experience.
Yeah, different manner. :) Definitely took care to clean and sterlise all of the equipment. Just bottled 15 bottles and then didn't get around to bottling the other 15. in the middle of getting the place ready to go on the market so not the best time to brew. :)

donburke said:
bloody hell what are you waiting for, drink the bloody thing

go put one in the freezer now and come back and post here in half an hour as you open it

:chug:
:) Yeah, I will be cracking a couple over the weekend. I have been trying to be patient and leave it in the bottle for as long as possible (in a cool dark place).

Looking forward to trying it (fingers crossed).

Ken

humulus said:
Too right Bribie!!......Kendoll get in touch with us at SLAB (in the groups/clubs section), just a bunch of beer lovers,from K&K to Rims to Braumeisters,always keen to have new members.
Meet once a month,always a good get together......although our swmbo,s might not agee!
Hmmm...I will head on over to the Groups section now. :)

Ken

When you bottle your beer (specifically for the kits - but a question in general I guess) do you just leave them in a cool/dark area of the house or can you refridgerate them straight away?

Ken

kendoll said:
When you bottle your beer (specifically for the kits - but a question in general I guess) do you just leave them in a cool/dark area of the house or can you refridgerate them straight away?

Ken
to carbonate them, you'll need to add your priming sugar (or carb drops like i use) and keep them at roughly ambient room temp (mine stay at about 20C in my loungeroom) until they're carbonated. once they're carbonated in about 2 weeks-ish, i refrigerate them.

cool and dark is okay, provided the temperature isn't too low or the beer won't carbonate as the yeast won't wake up and eat the priming sugar/carb drops.

Thanks fletcher.

I bottled mine with the carb drops about 4 weeks ago and they have been living in a box in the cupboard. I should probably put them in the fridge then. :)

I opened one last week and it certainly seemed carbonated.

Ken

kendoll said:
Thanks fletcher.

I bottled mine with the carb drops about 4 weeks ago and they have been living in a box in the cupboard. I should probably put them in the fridge then. :)

I opened one last week and it certainly seemed carbonated.

Ken
yeah from what i've read on here, it's not a necessity, but can help with the beer aging slower, and helps with getting yeast out of suspension (clarity of the beer) so why not!? :)

more importantly, it's only a fridge-door-opening away from you drinking it!

kendoll said:
Alrighty then. Time to make room in the fridge.

Ken
that's the tough part for me and the mrs. i've stolen the whole bottom shelf, and the vegetable crisper tray slot thing under it for my no-chill cube haha...she just shakes her head

Latest posts

Back