New Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokodan

Reaction score
Hi All

Put down a Coopers draught kit last week with a can i got with a kit i scored from E bay , after doing all the right things ( sterilising , cleaning etc ) i discovered the best before on the can was about 6 months out of date , anyway i started the brew at at SG 1040 and it is now down to 1020 after 8 days in primary , my querie is , do i monitor for the next few days or do you think due to the date of the can and using the supplied yeast this is my first " chuck out " , been trying to keep brew at about 18 deg C with the use of the 120 can cooler and frozen water bottles i found in forum which may i say has been great ( first time i have tried as you would gather ) , as i said earlier should i monitor and if so what do you think i should let FG get down to as it looks like fermantation has stopped ( no more condensation froth etc ) any advice would be greatlfully appreciated thanks

Dan

Dan,
let it go and check it in a few days time all should be ok

If the malt has gone out of date it may give a slight metally taste.

I had this a couple of years ago and only found out recently why so.

A bit curious on your fermentaion temperature and what else went into the brew.

Your S.G a bit high for 8 days. what yeast did you buy.

You should throw away the first sample for sg or let it settle for a while as it may contain a lot of sediment which will throw out your reading.

Kit and kile of sugar should give around 1.008 +-2 filnal read.

Hi All

Put down a Coopers draught kit last week with a can i got with a kit i scored from E bay , after doing all the right things ( sterilising , cleaning etc ) i discovered the best before on the can was about 6 months out of date , anyway i started the brew at at SG 1040 and it is now down to 1020 after 8 days in primary , my querie is , do i monitor for the next few days or do you think due to the date of the can and using the supplied yeast this is my first " chuck out " , been trying to keep brew at about 18 deg C with the use of the 120 can cooler and frozen water bottles i found in forum which may i say has been great ( first time i have tried as you would gather ) , as i said earlier should i monitor and if so what do you think i should let FG get down to as it looks like fermantation has stopped ( no more condensation froth etc ) any advice would be greatlfully appreciated thanks

Dan

Welcome to the world of Home Brewing.

Sounds much like how I started out, with an out of date tin and a second hand kit. Bare with it at it should be OK. Warm it to 22 deg and give it more time and when it is down passed 1010 or so then give it 2 more days and bottle it. Even if it turns out pretty ordinary, you will still learn a lot.

I've found that old kits can have a higher FG - I recently did a coopers cervesa which was a few motnhs out of date which finished at 1.016 just make sure that your consistantly getting the same SG over the next few days and you should be right.

Warm it up, 20 - 22, pitch another sachet of yeast.
Check SG daily.
Don't accept the resultant beer quality as 'gospel'.
Rinse, sanitse and rinse the fermenter and do another kit.

Your experience so far is only a bump in the road. Trust me......

Back