New Brew Rig. Advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it once using a woollen polishing bonnet on a drill with cut and polish after sanding by hand to get paint etc off.
The biggest problem I found was it flicked shit all over the place when used at high speed.
The drill is easy to regulate the speed as a grinder only has 2 speeds, on and off. Using a grinder you'd need a fine flexible disc and go lightly so as not to dig in and leave marks.
Do you have an orbital sander ? ,might be a better option for getting all the crap off then use the grinder for buffing but put up shielding so everything around you doesn't get coated in buffing compound.

No I don't have an orbital sander. What type of sandpaper did you use spog?

I've polished the odd keg. If they're pretty tidy sand by hand, 120 grit then 200 grit then something fine like 600 grit. The on the drill with brillo pads (available from super cheap). That should give you a clean bright finish. If you want mirror you then need a polishing kit with sisal wheel and rag wheel with polish sticks ( green shed has them).

I took an old 18 gal keg to mirror looked fantastic was super easy to wipe down at the end of the day and a quick go over with kitchen SS spray every feww months and it sparkled.

The soft foam sanding blocks ,they're not a rectangular block as per pic and help in getting at all the fiddly angles.
Go for grades as malt junkie suggested. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478396229.459314.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478396257.234364.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478396279.940455.jpg

Back