Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

New Brew Kettle Electric vs Gas

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Drewgong, 12/8/19.

1. Drewgong

Posted 12/8/19
    Gday fellas my current 3v setup is a 20l urn hlt, 35l insulated mash tun and a 50l keggle on a tiered platform. I want to be able to double batch putting 44 litres into fermenters. So my 50l keggle is becoming my hlt with a 2400w element and i have joined two kegs together to make a 70l keggle id like to go electric with it as well . Pre boil wort will be around 54-56 litres any recommendations on a element ? something under the keg would be perfect but not sure anything is available to suit the domed bottom. (Kegs were purchased from a local winery/wedding venue) 20190812_153200.jpg

Last edited: 12/8/19
  2. Hangover68

Posted 14/8/19 at 4:35 AM
    Nice neat weld there, i would think gas would be better for the domed bottom.

3. sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery

Posted 14/8/19 at 5:15 AM
    Having used both gas and electric, I'll always have my hand up for electric.

Easier to automate if you ever need to (set timers or PID control, for example), and safer to leave unattended.

Plus no need to fear running out of gas, if not using mains.